Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Party 5/10...Kings in BB

At work and don't have all the details but it goes something like this:

Donk opens for 30 and gets called in two spots. I cover table and raise to $150 with Kings in the BB (who raises more/less here?).

Everyone folds except seemingly good player in LP who flat calls.

Flop is something like 3,5,6 (suits don't matter).

I bet out 70% - 80% of pot. Who bets pot here?

Good player raises all-in and it is another $1,200 to call.

Who calls here and if so what do you put good player on?

Thanks
Old 09-26-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Party 5/10...Kings in BB

He's got a pair in the hole, either set or 88-1010. Would he call your raise with a little pair heads up in position? What does he think of you?

I'd put him on a weaker overpair and call.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:29 PM

I haven't played this game too much but I am a TAG (VPIP/PFR of 16/9 - don't have PT in front of me but these are very close #s) although he may have seen me make a continuation bet on flop with nada and give up turn.

I would think he wouldn't call my pre-flop bets with little pairs but I only have something like 350 hands against him.

Will wait to see if there are more responses before giving out the results.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:52 PM

This is not 88-QQ. If I were in villain's shoes, I'd do this w/ 65, 64, 54, 43 or so. I think this is a fold, he gives you credit for your overpair and probably has you beat / has tons of outs.

In your shoes, Id check the flop and lead the turn.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:45 PM

44 or 77 a lot of the time. Naturally very read dependent, but I call this most of the time. Most important is his view of you - I make the same move he did a lot against weakish/tightish types. If he has a set, then this is not a scary board for him at all - why does he want you out?

If he flopped a set, and played it like this, then I'll probably pay him off here.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:44 PM

Your raise left alot of room for people to call you with speculative hands and small pocket pairs. Put it this way, if you called $30 preflop, along with the original raiser and another caller, then the BB raises to 150, you pretty much know exactly what kind of hand you are up against. Unless the player is a maniac or very high-level thinker, it's AA, KK, and VERY rarely AK or QQ, period. When the other players fold, you are now in position on this player needing to call $120 for a shot at not only the $245 already in the pot, but you know almost for certain he is also going to be putting in another 200-350 on the flop if you do call no matter WHAT the flop brings, and will likely NOT be able to fold if you get lucky and hit a set, 2 pair, or straight. I'm not saying that an overpair only with a weak draw isn't possible here, but you are usually behind if you call in a situation like this with an overpair KK only in my experience.

Raise more preflop. Make people pay a premium to try and draw out, or realize your value raise didn't do alot to protect your hand and you may lose your stack for it. An easy way to figure a good raise size is 2x limpers + 3x the BB, so here I'd be using 240 as my basis for raising, and raise less if i wanted more action, and more if I wanted more protection.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Results

Thanks for feedback guys and the advise as to what the proper raising levels should be considering what you want to accomplish.

To the hand. I thought long and hard and I thought that he wouldn't call with a small pp or suited connector and if he had aces he would have probably popped it instead of calling the original raiser and cold caller so I put him on QQ or KK for a chop.

So, I called and he wound up showing 44 for the OESD and shot at a set. I spiked a K on the turn and he did not make his straight. This hand generated a lot of conversation after it was over. How many people would call my raise with a small pp in a cappd buy-in game? That call by him seems pretty gutsy but I see his viewpoint. It is easy to get away from it if he doesn't hit flop.

His big flop raise was also suspicious to me. It seemed like he didn't want a call so that gave me another reason to call. I got lucky this time. Just started the transition from limit to NL and I love this NL stuff.

I'll try to post more hands in the future.

Thanks again.