Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 06:31 AM

Default Re: Politically Incorrect WSOP Post

[ QUOTE ]

I estimate that the percentage of original starters who were, foreign, female, black or Jewish was well under 50%. That is what I was getting at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why didn't you say so? Why didn't you include any of those four words in your original post?

Are you trying to assert that those four classes of people are better learners (since you point out that the White Male Christian Americans aren't)?

edit: Please understand that I'm just trying to get you to say what it is you are trying to say. Three posts so far by you and you still haven't said anything....you've just backtracked so far. since <50% of the field was foreign female black jewish, then doesn't your assertion follow that greater than 50% of the remaining field should be those?

really. make a point. please. and stick with it.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:19 AM

David makes a very valid point about members of the dominant culture in America. The reason so many, but sadly not all, minorities prosper in America and elsewhere is that they start with nothing and thus have every motivation to get as much education as they can and work as hard as they can to get ahead. Plus Asian cultures in particular tend to put an enormous value on education. And I'm talking real education here, not the usual American white graduates who only got into some state university because of its low SAT and high school record requirements, and who couldn't really earn a degree in a demanding area of study if they spent 20 hours a day on it. The dominant culture in America on the other hand, starts off even in the lowest economic tiers of our society with an income level and social safety net that would be considered downright prosperous in most of the world, thus making it easy to have lower expectations and goals. A lot of this is also an indictment of our education systems pedagogical foundations. Rote learning of the traditional topics reading, writing and arithmetic, supplemented by science introduced at an early age, produces results. Emphasis on having a "well-rounded" education that doesn't really prepare you for anything, and the sucking up of credit hours by required fluff courses and politically correct indoctrination doesn't. If you closed half the the colleges in America and increased emphasis on math and science, with the result of much fewer college admission spots for which there was increased competition, I suspect there would be an overall better positive outcome.

Other cultures in the world have constantly shown that the sincerest form of flattery is indeed imitation, and this is true in our favorite American game of poker as well.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:05 AM

I am very dissapointed you did not put any significance calculations in your post, even if your assumptions are SWAGs.

(Also, excluding Greg Raymer even partially based solely on the fact that he is a 2+2er is pretty weak. Would you also exclude those who vehemently argue the Christian side in these threads?)

You should make an account for trolling, since you cannot be sure you are eliciting a response just due to name recognition vice the trollocity of the post.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:10 AM

I told you in the other thread you should've been resting up for day 2 instead of posting in SMP.

Maybe if you had listened to this young white Christian American male, you wouldn't be posting right now. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2005, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Christian, American, White, Males. Surely well more than half the starting field fit this criteria.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not very scientific of you.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:55 AM

I don't get it. What's non-PC about this post?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(Also, excluding Greg Raymer even partially based solely on the fact that he is a 2+2er is pretty weak. Would you also exclude those who vehemently argue the Christian side in these threads?)

[/ QUOTE ]

It was obviously a joke.

David, while I think it's true that complacency does lead to a lack of progress, it's clear that there are lots of Jews/Asians who are in similar social/economical positions to the ones you suggest the majority of white, Christian Americans are in.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:00 AM

Default The Black Lesbian Caucus hosts a sklansky night

[ QUOTE ]
Christian, American, White, Males. Surely well more than half the starting field fit this criteria. Of the final 27 I count five or so. And one of them is our own Greg Raymer who as a 2+2er, doesn't really count.

Almost surely not a coincidence. They don't want to ask directions. And they won't admit there are people smarter than them who can teach them something. Whether it be religion, science, or poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
This statement is relevant to the propensity of Americans to educate and better themselves only if you know something about your current and actual readership that you're not telling us!
Old 07-14-2005, 11:03 AM

I know nothing about the demographics of the starting feild and of the players remaining.

I just want to say that I support you, David, in looking into and pointing out things that most others would be afraid to.

I think that many people are too preoccupied with political correctness, and questions like this are avoided because of it.

All I'm saying is that I don't think it is wrong to make the statement you made as long as you realize, and I know you do, that you made some generalizations and that they aren't true for every individual in the group.

I wasn't going to post this, because I didn't have much to say. However, I'm afraid you might get flamed here by people wanting to be PC, and will not be defended by those who agree with you, for fear of not being PC themselves. So, I'm just trying to balance it out.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:28 AM

Isn't a not very good at poker white american christian male more likely to turn up in Vegas for a big game then a not very good at poker foreigner.

Also white american christian males might have more confident wealthy individuals who can play a lot without being very good.

chez