Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 02:25 AM

Default New to Stud Games, so I apologize in advance.

How many Big Bets do I need to minimize my risk of ruin for Stud? I know for Hold 'Em it is 300 BB, but how much should I have for Stud? I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I still have no idea how to properly filter my search results, so when I searched, every single topic on this forum came up! Thank you for the information.

Dan
Old 05-24-2005, 02:36 AM

Default Re: New to Stud Games, so I apologize in advance.

300 BB is just a rule of thumb for HE. I'm pretty sure it assumes that your average BB/100 (big bets won per 100 hands) is equal to 1. It also makes an assumption about standard deviation.

The following website explains how to find your own risk of ruin and an appropriate B/R for your game: http://www.bet-the-pot.com/bankroll-...on-page43.html

The short of it is that 300BB is a good rule for 7stud too. But there is a lot more variance in stud. On the one hand, if you play consistently with weaker players, I think you can get by with 100BB, since you will average a lot more than 1 BB/100. If you do average around 1 BB/100, then you'll want the 300 BB, at least. If you're averaging 1 BB/100, you may want more than 300BB, because short term variance is higher in stud than in hold 'em.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:37 AM

300bb should be fine, except since your new to stud more the better until you plug the newbe leaks.

Also stud/8 tends to have less variance then Stud hi so keep that in mind.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:45 AM

Depending on what level you are starting at, you can get by with a smaller bankroll if you are willing to move down to lower limits if you go on a losing streak.