Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Another AK hand, check raised on turn, check to me on river...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3-bet the turn. this could be a draw or a K-weak kicker. if that schmuck is playing K5 (or any other lower kicker), i'll get my money back soon enough that i'll risk the extra BB. plus if he misses on the river, he isn't paying you off.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yikes, are we that sure that we aren't beat here? Turn check-raises usually aren't full of [censored].
I don't mind a call-down (although the river check is puzzling), but I think 3-betting here is spewing.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it really depends on the player. A whole lot of guys at 2/4 are limping KQ,KJ type hands and then waiting until the turn to raise when they flop a pair. I know we don't have a read - and that would really help - but, I don't think a 3-bet is horrible against a 2/4 unknown.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:37 AM

If he has a small set or Kx crap (2 pair) then your screwed if you 3 bet. I think these hands are more likely than K6. But he could very well have KJ or KQ here. I see a lot of these young punks play tricky and check raise the turn with top pair. Call down you lose the least when your behind and win the most when your ahead if he is bluffing.

And yes bet the damn river if this fool checks to you. Its telling you "uh, oh he has a king with a better kicker".
Old 09-21-2005, 09:44 AM

Yes, and the existence of hands that you beat OBVIOUSLY implies that you should reraise...
Old 09-21-2005, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, and the existence of hands that you beat OBVIOUSLY implies that you should reraise...

[/ QUOTE ]

well i'm assuming that your blatant all-caps emphasis and tone of this comment is covered in sarcasm, so i just thank you for your insightful comment.

first i have thought about this hand and will say that part of my comment could relate to the river check, BUT...

with only 1 overcard a LOT of pocket pairs will raise here BESIDES 3 of a kind as well as K-lower kicker. yes a read would obviously help, but i still DO NOT feel that 3-betting here is spewing in any sense. it is an AGGRESSIVE line, but i don't believe it to be that far out of normal play.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well i'm assuming that your blatant all-caps emphasis and tone of this comment is covered in sarcasm, so i just thank you for your insightful comment.

first i have thought about this hand and will say that part of my comment could relate to the river check, BUT...

with only 1 overcard a LOT of pocket pairs will raise here BESIDES 3 of a kind as well as K-lower kicker. yes a read would obviously help, but i still DO NOT feel that 3-betting here is spewing in any sense. it is an AGGRESSIVE line, but i don't believe it to be that far out of normal play.

[/ QUOTE ]
I come in peace

Just in case you mistook me for the sarcastic one.

Perhaps "spewing" was an exaggeration. But I will hold some ground and say that it's really unsafe without a read. I agree that I would sometimes 3-bet this as well, but as a standard line against an unknown, I think too often you're opening up yourself to a world of hurt.

p.s. shout out to the first state baby
unless your location is just making fun of it
Old 09-21-2005, 01:29 PM

no i didn't mistake you for the sarcastic one. and we'll just leave the difference in our lines as "read-dependent" at least we both agree we shouldn't fold.

i guess my question would then be to players taking the line you do of just calling the turn c/r, do you bet this river? and i'm assuming you fold to another c/r?

PSS: didn't even notice your helmet! nope i'm really from the diamond state [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] but everyone quotes the line when i say that, so i save them the trouble [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]