Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Why is the min-raise used so often in online play?

There is a place for the min-raise. I use it when I have the nuts or close to the nuts and that is the only way to get some more money in the pot. Suppose I hold AK and the flop comes out K K X. If I raise it much, everyone is going to fold, but I might get a caller or two with a min-raise.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:11 PM

Because there is a button for it.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:17 PM

Min Raise preflop can be a valuable tell if you make notes. Most players will min raise preflop either with a great hand or a mediocre hand, depending on the type of player. Whenever someone min raises and goes to showdown, I make a player note to use later.

A min raise with AA usually means that player's smaller raises are made to get more players and money in the pot, obviously.

A min raise with the likes of KJ or A7 is a sign of a very weak player (as this bet makes little sense). Beware this player's large raises. Perhaps he uses the Bet Pot button for premium hands.

Basically, anytime a player hits a pre-set button to make a bet, it's a tell.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i've noticed that the post-flop min-raise is much more common in b&m than online. it means that making a small bet with a draw is often good b/c if you do get raised, you'll be well priced in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed this also when I play live. This was exactly how I was thinking of exploiting it, but I'm still undecided. Kind of bloat the pot so that you can make playing for your draw easier.

-Gryph

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always kinda looked at this as sloppy poker. You know you shouldn't be drawing with the current odds, so you make a bet that will make a call of a raise a "good play". It is kinda like you are tricking yourself to go all in on a draw. I've done it myself many times - flop comes two to a flush, I hold flush cards. Villian bets the pot. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] ok... maybe I can semi-bluff him, 'cause I really don't want to fold my flush cards. So I bet the pot back at him. He goes AI. Well... now I have to call because I have pot odds now.... Sloppy poker. I should just fold to the oversized bet.

CSC
Old 04-19-2005, 08:42 PM

Default one thing I haven\'t seen mentioned

Online I know several people who will make a min-raise with the bottom pocket pairs, in the hopes of seeing a cheap flop and spiking a set.

The reason they do this is a 1-up, or min raise from EP tends to keep people after you from pushing all in or making big raises that would force you to fold, if you had just limped.

Then they mix that up with doing 1-up raises with hands like AA and KK too...keeps em confused.

-Scott
Old 04-19-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How did it get so popular, and what advantage does it have over a standard raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can make a mini raise just by hitting a button. No typing numbers or moving sliders.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How did it get so popular, and what advantage does it have over a standard raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can make a mini raise just by hitting a button. No typing numbers or moving sliders.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't exactly call that an "advantage." Is it really just due to laziness a lot of the time? I usually will make a note if someone min-raises with a huge pocket pair, or other premium hand. But when people do it with garbage, I just don't understand.