Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 06:37 AM

Default Differences between PokerStars $0.02/$0.04 and $0.05/$0.10 Omaha/8?

I am just starting to play online (two months or so), and I have been hanging around exclusively at the microlimits. I primarily play Limit Hold 'Em, but I tried a table of $0.02/$0.04 Limit Omaha/8 tonight, and was very surprised at how few players actually seemed to know what they were doing.

I absolutely love player Omaha/8, but I was apprehensive about playing it online. Is this low skill level typical of the microlimits at PokerStars, and if so, how high do the limits have to be before the players become competent? This session was extremely profitable, and if this is typical, I think I may switch my main game to Omaha/8.

Any information is greatly appreciated, and if these limits are too low for this board, then I apologize. I'm just a college student, and cannot afford higher limits. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2005, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Differences between PokerStars $0.02/$0.04 and $0.05/$0.10 Omaha/8?

People play penny tables for fun. Yes it's appalling play, and it does get better at higher limits. It's worth playing the games to learn betting patterns and opening hands.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:17 AM

I've noticed that (at least up to a 3/6 table) there seems to be 3 bad players, 4 good players and a couple medium players at each table....according to pokertracker and playerview.

Last night I was actually playing at a table with four guys with VPIP stats above 65 and one guy had a won at showdown percent of 0.

It ws like Christmas came early.

I've given up playing Hold 'em. By no means is this game "easy". Sometimes you just don't get the cards. But if you can look at the flop and see that you have a reasonable chance to make the nuts (or really really close to it), it's a very profitable game.

Good luck.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:49 PM

the 5c/10c tables are terrible too, I was rebuilding my PS bankroll back from $3 just to keep enough money on there to play tournemnts - me and a friend in the same spot got into a competion.

I think I averaged 11BB/100, I know I was over 9bb/100.

I really don't think there is a reason to play 25c/50c on PS. I havent played enough hands to see how much the PS rake is, but on Party and UB I pay about 4BB/100.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:56 PM

djg,you don't ever have to apologize for playing limits that you feel comfortable with in relation to you poker bankroll. I am sure that almost all of us here are doing the same thing but at diff limits. I have never played the micro limits but I assume they are quite loose. As you move up in limits you will find fewer and fewer maniacs at your table. Even though you may find several bad players at your game at the 2/4 and 3/6 levels,I think the biggest diff is you will find many more people that actually have some idea of how to play at these higher limits. If you like omaha,practice your game at the level that allows you to be as aggressive as you need to be. And don't pick up any bad habits from those players. good luck
Old 04-15-2005, 08:33 PM

I think there is plenty of bad play at 5-10 and 10-20 tables, where i'm currently playing. But i was mainly playing 2-4 and 3-6 very recently.

The standards get very gradually better, with tighter, more aggressive players, fewer calling stations. But I think the main driver is your bankroll, as there are still 1-3 fishy/semi-fishy players in my typical 10-20 game.

If I were you, I'd aggressively move up as soon as you feel you can beat the game you're at (and i'd hav a low threshold here) and you have the bankroll. You can always move back down, as I have had to do on occasion.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Differences between PokerStars $0.02/$0.04 and $0.05/$0.10 Omaha/8

Thank you for the information, guys. This is really an excellent, helpful forum, which is a nice change from other forums I have been to.

Domino, thanks for the encouragement. I actually tried the $0.05/$0.10 Omaha/8 game today, and found it to be similar to the $0.02/$0.04 game. Now I can play both Hold 'Em and Omaha/8 at $0.05/$0.10 with confidence. Thank you again.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Differences between PokerStars $0.02/$0.04 and $0.05/$0.10 Omaha/8

djg40, I have played at both the .02/.04 and .05/.10 limits and experience much the same level of play. After a few successful sessions in both O8 and Hold'em lead to a significant bankroll growth, I have taken some shots at O8 .25/.50 and now play there regularly. My experiences have found very similar play to the smaller games, with only two to three players at the table playing reasonably. If an oppertunity presents itself, do not be intimidated by the higher stakes. Hopefully I don't see you there, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]!