Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2004, 09:30 PM

Default Top and bottom pair on 2-tone flop, get reraised?

Don't have much of a read on UTG+1, I don't think I've seen him showdown a hand yet. I limp from the button with A4s (questionable? I like seeing flops cheaply with suited aces)

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t40 (8 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">UTG+1 (t905)</font>
MP1 (t390)
MP2 (t1200)
CO (t1720)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t955)</font>
SB (t1345)
BB (t1065)
UTG (t2420)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t40, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t40, SB completes, BB checks,

Flop: (t160) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets t40</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t280</font>, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t520</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero ...</font>

I flop top and bottom pair, and decide to come over the top of UTG+1's min bet with a pot sized raise. This smells like an overplayed flush draw to me (see a lot of those at this level, $5.50 UB), but as I said I don't have much of a read on UTG+1. I'm not quite pot-committed yet, as I'll have about 600 left (at 20-40 blinds) if I lay it down here. Your move?
Old 07-19-2004, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Top and bottom pair on 2-tone flop, get reraised?

i call. his min bet smells of a bottom/middle pair and just testing the waters to see if anyone has a higher pair. his all-in tells me he has a draw and one of his cards is a j [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for middle pair.

am i close?
Old 07-19-2004, 12:37 AM

At a $5 + $.50, I push without thinking twice. He probably has Jd Td or Kd Qd or something like that, on a good day. Though those hands are too good for what he probably has...
Old 07-19-2004, 05:29 AM

Easy all in.

I don't think I would have played this pre-flop though. A4s is a good drawing hand if there's lots of players, but with only 1 limper I don't think you're getting enough callers to justify it.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:49 AM

I'd move all in for sure. Simply because if you fold you'll be in second-to-last place, and i'd say your chances of winning this hand are greater than finishing in the $$ if you go down to 600 chips. Basically this guy has no idea what you have since you limped in on the button. All he knows is it ain't an Ace + a decent kicker. He might be a good player with A-10os But you are also right in thinking AJos or 44 would limp in from his position. It's a toss up but i'd rather move all in here than sit in second-to-last place wondering if i'm too much of a wuss. Anyway, i'm pretty new, but that's my call. If I had enough chips to end up in the middle of the pack if I folded, then I would fold it.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:18 AM

Default Results

Well I took the same line as everyone who's responded so far
and moved all in. He called and flipped over AJ for top 2 pair [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Fortunately, I managed to spike a 4 on the river and busted him out (and went on to finish in 2nd place) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks all for the advice. I've been busting out a lot lately in situations like these, where a player will come over the top of my decent hands with better hands such as sets, etc, and wanted to make sure my line was reasonable. Thanks again!