Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Raise with a baby flush draw?

$50 NL-HE (10 players):
MP limps (stack = $47)
Hero limps in c/o with 6c5c (stack = $52)
SB calls (stack = 38)
BB checks (stack =$40)

Flop: Kc7c2h (pot = $2)

MP Bets $2
Hero raises $10

With no real reads is this a good spot for a raise? My intention was to force out better flush draws and also to have some chance of winning the small pot on the flop. However, I am beginning to wonder if a typical opponent with Acxc in the blinds ever folds to this raise.
If I can’t raise this draw here then is it worth playing at all?
Old 12-14-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Raise with a baby flush draw?

i think the raise if fine.. if you don't get reraised and a club doesn't hit on the turn, then you might get a free river card.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:26 PM

Well, you don't have to play every single sc that your dealt in position. Here you only have one limper before it gets to you in the CO. I could see myself folding that sometimes.

As played, raising is OK. You don't have to raise so large however. That's an overbet. $6-$8 would do the trick just as well.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:29 PM

Raise to 8 (4x his bet) and see what happens. You're goal is to take down the pot now, rather than try to build it with a draw. On the turn, if you hit, fire away, if you don't, then try to determine whether it's worth the free card or whether you want to fire again to take down the now decent sized pot.

Keep in mind: if you check the turn, the villian will probably see your free card play, depending on your image. This means you won't get paid on the river when you hit and he'll try to steal with nothing on the river (though it's almost surely a value bet if you turn the cards face up).