Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 07:29 PM

Default simple question about heads-up

sorry, i could have posted this in the beginner's area, but i assume no beginners would be able to help.

when you play heads-up, the "effective" order of play reverses after the flop. it's not like the flow goes the other way though.

that's what i want to understand.

is there underlying logic behind this? or is there no correct answer and the poker authorities just decided on one way?

i.e. i'm the dealer, so the small blind posts, i post big blind as dealer.

cards are dealt, small blind goes first....

then after flop, i would think it should be first player after the dealer, so small blind goes first again.

but for some reason, the dealer goes first after the big blind i believe.

thanks in advance if you can help with this. am i missing it logically? or, is it just the way it evolved as there is no "right answer"?

feel free to troll if you must, but please put something constructive towards the answer.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Re: simple question about heads-up

I think the reason is because getting to act last on every round of betting would be too much of an advantage for the BB. Although you switch every hand, there is no advantage as a whole, but giving SB the button allows for both positions to be closer in value.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Re: simple question about heads-up

fair enough, so you're saying it's a custom (to stimulate some action) as opposed to something that should make logical sense to me.

i guess otherwise the small blind would fold alot more.

FWIW, harrington likes the 5X raise from big blind as you'll be out of position the rest of the way.