Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 01:01 AM

Default One More I Botched...

Villian is Very aggro on 3rd street.

7 Card Stud High ($30/$60), Ante $5, Bring-In $10 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (10.33 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (6.67 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (8.67 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

River - (10.67 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (12.67 BB)
Old 10-02-2005, 01:43 AM

Default Re: One More I Botched...

Does "very aggro" mean maniacal? Because if it doesn't, then I don't think you can pay this one off. He three-bet on third street, which I assume represents some kind of hand. Maybe he'd do that with a three-flush, but would he do that with two spades gone? Maybe he'd do that with a three-card straight, but with two Eights and a Queen gone, it seems somewhat unlikely. It's harder for him to have a three-card straight, and the up-cards would diminish my enthusiasm for QJT some and JT9 a lot. Oh, and you're losing to those anyway.

What I'm trying to say here is that it is overwhelmingly likely that he started with a pair of some description, and you are therefore beaten. Even in the rare (I'm guessing) instance where he didn't, he could still have backed into one along the way.

I'm not one to lay down anything resembling a hand in a decent pot, but I think this is one situation where you have to. The rest of the hand is just fine.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:39 AM

Looks fine, but I don't like the river call. I don't see what he has that you're beating by the way he has played it.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:46 AM

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say why not check fold 4th?

Curious what you guys think the line is as far as ante size to chase here on 4th.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:49 AM

That is probably one of those situation when it really depends on the math and how much you think you will get paid off if you hit your flush. I think since all of his flush cards are live it makes the call better, however if his cards were dying this would be an easy fold. You are correct in thinking that since this is a structured game that is conducive to action, Jeff is much more likely to take on off here even if his cards were somewhat dead.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say why not check fold 4th?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play stud hi, but this seems crazy. Hero is getting 12-1, closing action. His read means villian's not likely rolled. If ever a 3-flush should be chased on 4th, this has got be the spot.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:21 AM

What he said...getting big odds, closing the action against donkeys who will pay off raises readily.

Jeff
Old 10-02-2005, 10:26 AM

He is extremely aggressive on 3rd in my experience. He could have A-10-K to start or 10-Q-K in which case he had to river me to win. I'm getting close to 12-1 on the river call, but I agree it's quite the parlay that he started with something like this AND didn't river me. Though his bet on the end is interesting. It usually would mean trips or better in a lot of cases because he may check two pair here since his hands obvious. Or he may not. But he would certainly bet just jacks to try to get me to release something better. I think my river pay off was slightly loose, but against him I thought it was close. Overall, I think the call is very debateable.

Jeff
Old 10-02-2005, 10:27 AM

Default RESULTS

My opponent started with (A,K) 10 and rivered a king for kings up. So I lost. Thanks for comments, more welcome.

Jeff
Old 10-02-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

Why do you think u botched it?