Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 04:49 PM

Default AJs play?

Should i have stopped betting on the turn or folded the river? Thanks.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (5.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB
Old 07-06-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Re: AJs play?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This question is impossible to answer without some kind of information on your opponent.

lf
Old 07-06-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This question is impossible to answer without some kind of information on your opponent.

lf

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I have no read as of yet. Not that that helps.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:59 PM

Your play is fine. The only question is whether to call the river bet. Sure looks like you have to do it here against an uknown.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your play is fine. The only question is whether to call the river bet. Sure looks like you have to do it here against an uknown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply. Still, something about this hand just makes me feel uncomfortable. If I'm going to call a bet on the river, would betting be an option? I would think that any pocket pair or pair for that matter would call down but perhaps I could have taken a pot from AQ or AJ.

I guess AQ is the only hand that would beat me that would maybe fold to a river bet. But then again, I would think that AQ would call a bet on the river with all low cards.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:19 PM

If you're going to show this hand down, against an unknown, check/calling is the way to go. No better hand is folding here, like ever. A worse hand might bet, however.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:22 PM

You also need to think about inducing a bluff. What will a busted flush draw do in this circumstance? If he's likely to bet to try and steal the pot then check-calling will be more profitable than you betting and him folding. I think the likelihood of you inducing a bluff here means you have to call.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm going to call a bet on the river, would betting be an option?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're misunderstanding just WHY you're check-calling, as other replies have pointed out. You're checking to induce a bluff from a busted draw. Any pair calls you down here.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:02 PM

this is a hand one should strongly consder limping in with from early position. Notice how hard this hand gets to play on the later streets heads up and out of position, yet the hand will do well in a multi-way pot.

Checking the turn is reasonable. Since you will not fold out an ace, the only liekly hand to fold out here is KQ - though this is not an insignificant concern. Weaker face cards will often have a J, so giving them a free card is less of a concern.

In the given hand, your opponent very likely has at least an ace since he called the turn bet. You only beat A9 and AT and tie AJ on the river. Given this, I don't think a call is warranted very often.

It is very likely that betting the river is superior to checking and folding or checking and calling since you may fold out another AJ or AQ with a bet, in addition to denying your opponent the chance to bluff you out.

Dan Z.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:03 PM

Okay right, I think i was thinking that betting might be good becuase i lost specifically to AQ. But I should have realized that he is just as likely to have a busted flush like KTc and other hands like that. Maybe even KQo looking for overcards. That is the correct line of thought, right?