Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Re: A9s - Rivers top two

[ QUOTE ]
I reraise pot here and call his push. If he has 35 then I make a note and win my money back later. If he is this passive with a set then make a note.

Looks to me like villain made more mistakes in this hand than you unless he holds A9, A&, or AK-AJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are dead on here.......I should have raised preflop....but I didn't. The benefit of that is that my hand is disguised...he's almost certainly not putting me on an ace. That's the first thing to consider. The second thing to consider is that he was calling me with something on this flop....and unless it's an improbably straight draw which I think is highly unlikely, he almost certainly had a piece of that board, either a flopped two pair that he slowplayed, or something that just rivered an aces up hand, or a flopped set. I almost never see a set slowplayed up to the river...I think he'd raise the turn with a set.

That leaves us at basically aces up, or at very worst someone who's an idiot with AK or something and thought it *might* be good. I was so surprised by the raise that I just called it here in the heat of the moment, and I did it rather quickly. The debate was never whether to call or fold, but I instantly took the passive approach here and called....I think I should have reraised here. He's always calling with 2 pair, and if he slowplayed a set that long, then well-played on his part and he's got me. I think he calls with a worse 2 pair WAY more often than he has a set just by how the hand went down.

I flat called the raise, he showed Ace 7, and MHIG. I think i lost a ton of value here and it's something I need to work on. I need to think about my decisions a lot more before I make some of these, especially important decisions in big pots.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I reraise pot here and call his push. If he has 35 then I make a note and win my money back later. If he is this passive with a set then make a note.

Looks to me like villain made more mistakes in this hand than you unless he holds A9, A&, or AK-AJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with everything here, except a pot sized raise is a pooooosh, so do that first time around.

He has worse 2 pairs (possibly a split) almost always. Sometime he's slowplayed trips or called you w/ 53 all the way because he has a pattern mapper, but just calling here (or shiver folding) here is leaving money at the table.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:45 AM

If villain is passive, he may just call your bet on the river with two-pair against someone who has shown much strength. I see this quite a lot actually, from passive players and it may sway your decision a bit. Just something to consider in future hands.

Dumle
Old 11-14-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Of course a re-raise is out of the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because your betting your stack he had Ace rag and just made a worse 2 pair. If thats not the case he slowplayed trips. Nothing else on this board makes sense.

The way i see it, the bet comes back to you, there is $35 in the pot. Its $7 to you. 6:1 odds on your call. You've got yourself a winning call long term.

I play cautiously on the river, but for me this is plenty of value for the hand and I'm happy to showdown right here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize you just articulated the argument for a push, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you be more specific on which part?
Im not a great writer, sorry if my post is confusing.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I flat called the raise, he showed Ace 7, and MHIG. I think i lost a ton of value here and it's something I need to work on. I need to think about my decisions a lot more before I make some of these, especially important decisions in big pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just my opinion here.

I think you played it perfectly. When you called thats what you where hoping to see.

A7 is literally the perfect 2 cards for him to have and you to push. I think thats whats got you second guessing.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:25 PM

I don't get it. Count the number of ways he could have a set and the number of ways he could have a worse two pair. I dont see the logical two pairs that he could have outnumbering the number of sets by enough to warrant a push. If villain played the hand even a little differently I think I'd probably agree, but something just seems a little to shady to discount the sets.

Or maybe he's just a master and I'm a donkey, who knows.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it. Count the number of ways he could have a set and the number of ways he could have a worse two pair. I dont see the logical two pairs that he could have outnumbering the number of sets by enough to warrant a push. If villain played the hand even a little differently I think I'd probably agree, but something just seems a little to shady to discount the sets.

Or maybe he's just a master and I'm a donkey, who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually when people hit a set in a small pot they raise because they want to start building a pot. He only raised when the ace hit and it's fairly unlikely that just checked with AA preflop, hence our guess that he's more likely to have aces up.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because your betting your stack he had Ace rag and just made a worse 2 pair. If thats not the case he slowplayed trips. Nothing else on this board makes sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only hand that is makes sense for villain to have is a worse two pair or TPGK. When I think I ahead of almost everything villain could have, I want to get my money in. I only call here if I think I am 50/50 or so to win or I am getting correct odds (which I agree with your post on). However, your push gives villain correct odds to call with many inferior hands.

I hope this better explains my logic [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only hand that is makes sense for villain to have is a worse two pair or TPGK. When I think I ahead of almost everything villain could have, I want to get my money in. I only call here if I think I am 50/50 or so to win or I am getting correct odds (which I agree with your post on). However, your push gives villain correct odds to call with many inferior hands.

I hope this better explains my logic [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I see where your coming from. Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just my opinion here.

I think you played it perfectly. When you called thats what you where hoping to see.

A7 is literally the perfect 2 cards for him to have and you to push. I think thats whats got you second guessing.

[/ QUOTE ]

See here is where I think logic could have helped me out, and possibly you on a future hand. If that river had been a rag card, like a J or a K..then I think the argument can be made for just calling a raise, because for me, the likelihood of him having a set is higher because people don't typically play Kx or Jx. But this river was an Ace. People will sometimes call down with Ace high if they think you are bluffing, and they'll call down with Ax if it's paired...possibly thinking their hand is good, and the possibility of spiking that ace is always there. I think the river card being an Ace, and then his waking up tilts this in the direction of a reraise rather than call because aces up seems so much more likely. I think that's where I messed up. If the river was a random rag I think it's an easy fold.