Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: I suck? - Live 20/40

[ QUOTE ]
I think the flop raise is kind of silly. The pot is too big, I don't think you're getting many people to fold here. Especially if they have a pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't I try to fold some better hands to improve my chances to win this pot? I might be beating MP so folding any pair and or cleaning out my overcard outs would be a victory.

I'm sure lots of pairs aren't folding, but some will, and combined with the fact that I could be beating MP and I have backdoor draws/overs if I'm losing, I'm still not completely convinced that raising this flop is that bad.

Calling here, C/f turn UI is probably default, but I think my play has some merits
Old 11-11-2005, 12:43 PM

Call the flop; raise the turn.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-11-2005, 01:00 PM

I just check/call the river here. The villain obviously has a good hand with all his cold calling. He is either on a flush draw or some very strong holding like a set. He may have a worse two pair, but you don't want to pay 2 big bets to find out.

Raising the turn is a nice aggressive play, but I don't mind the call cause it's just you and the button, who is not folding his draw or better hand for two bets. I like the call on the turn and a check/call on the river. The flop raise is pretty frisky, but good because you want to force worse hands to call two cold. You also have many ways to improve, so I don't see anything wrong with it.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is not true, especially not in multiway pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the situation. MP limped, you raised, button coldcalled, BB and MP called. There's only 1 player with better position than you in this raised pot.

On a rag flop BB checks, MP bets, you wouldn't sometimes raise to maybe get button and BB out? With probably 6 outs and the chance that a turn bet might win it for you or you might see a free river if you want it?

Come on now. If you don't that sometimes to vary your game and make yourself harder to play against, it's a mistake. Key word is sometimes and it's true.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:05 PM

Entity, I didn't want to bring back your thread with CDC, but I saw your reply and I know you didn't say CDC was playing well. I responded like I did because you said he was "floating, playing almost every hand."

I was taking a shot at "floating", because that's what playing fishy is called now when done by a very good player and I disagree with it. If he's playing almost every hand, he's far from floating. No big deal.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on now. If you don't that sometimes to vary your game and make yourself harder to play against, it's a mistake. Key word is sometimes and it's true.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. However, I usually try to do it when the pot is heads up. And in generally I try to do "mix up my play" with bluffs and semibluffs in spots where it will either show an immediate profit, or come close. I also try to do it against players that won't simply call down with any piece of the board, in a spot where I can likely take the pot down, or will likely set myself up for a free card on the next round of betting.

Here the pot is too large to take it down immediately, with that board there are too many combinations of straight draws, pairs, flush draws, and overcards out there and they aren't likely folding for two bets. You're not winning this pot without a showdown very often at all, certainly less than 10%. And you have the best hand extremely rarely too.

The truth is, that depending on who you are playing against, mixing up" your play may or may not be required. In full ring games against players who are too loose and too passive, you don't really need to make yourself harder to play against. Because they are making themselves tremendously easy to play against.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:21 PM

Default Results...

Ok, flop was creative but foolish, I knew turn was a mistake.

I'm curious about river but no one mentioned it. I originally wanted to bet/fold, but then after I got raised I realized the pot was huge so I made a crying call and my hand was good. Maybe I hsould have just c/called as some of the HP regulars tend to bluff-raise scare cards

Button tabled A8o, MP mucked