Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Overcall this river?

I know I f'ed this hand up pretty good. This seemed like a pretty good time to wait for a safe turn card before throwing in a raise. I thought about raising pre-flop, but with 2 limpers in and loose blinds I figured I was going to have to catch a pretty favorable flop to have a chance.

SB and UTG are loose passive. UTG has also made some very stupid bets with weak hands that have no chance of inducing folds.

I figure I should have stuck with my initial plan of raising the turn. There was a chance I was behind but I wasn't ready to give UTG any credit just yet. The SB donk on the river caught me completely off guard. I couldn't imagine him making the bet without a 9. When UTG just called I figured I had him beat, but the SB donk threw me for a loop.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) CP hand converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP folds, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds.

River: (8 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero???

Final Pot: 10 BB
Old 11-09-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Overcall this river?

I think we've got raise the flop. We've got the best hand at this point and we want to protect it. Let's try to get rid of some overcards and make those on the draw pay to hit it. We're not playing to hit our 2 outer. Why are we just calling?
Old 11-09-2005, 05:05 PM

Who's folding to our raise?
Old 11-09-2005, 05:06 PM

It was a play straight out of the overpair chapter in SSHE. Basically wait for the turn to raise a weak overpair with lots of players in the pot because your edge is very small and a raise isn't going to chase anyone out just yet. I'm pretty sure that was the right play here.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:07 PM

:Grunch:

I would have played this hand very differently..

I would raise here pre-flop, you are against 2 loose-passive players who could have anything..most of which you are ahead of. You have position and getting the blinds to fold would be a bonus.

I would raise this flop, you are likely ahead at this point and so i want to charge overcards to outdraw me.

As you played it, i may raise the turn and try to get a free showdown..depends on the players. You may still be ahead and you want to charge draws/idiots.

On the river, SB's bet is worrying.. im not too sure what i would do tbh. We can safely say we are ahead of UTG..i say call, but i would like to see what other ppl think [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 05:08 PM

I raise this preflop - SB likely folds, and after that flop, your bet probably folds any other 9 out there.

That flop call was a horrible, horrible mistake. Your hand will probably never be as valuable as it is right now, and that's why you raise.

I call this river - I'm guessing overcards/paired rags. You have shown zero aggression, so there's no reason for your opponents to think you have anything at all, so your chances are better than you think. SB may think his ace-7 is good. You're getting 10:1 and you close the betting.

EDIT: Flop call probably not as much of a mistake after limping preflop, because at that point everyone thinks you've just maybe paired YOUR 7 - but I'd still raise.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:09 PM

Short answer is no one is folding to the raise. The only hope in a raise is pushing SB out, but only if he is tight which our read says he isn't. Everyone else is getting odds to draw with one more bet back to them.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who's folding to our raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we've got 2 behind us. I'd like to play this hand against as few opponents as possible.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:15 PM

I agree. 6 handed on the button with a medium pocket pair and two limpers infront of you I'm raising preflop to see if I can limit it to me and the limpers, or at least get SB gone. With that flop and a PF raise I would bet the flop knowing I'm ahead most of the time (assuming limpers would raise PF with 99-AA). On the turn I'd fire again, and call if CR. If checked to me on the river I'll check hoping no 9 was lurking looking for a CR. Just one man's opinion.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:15 PM

We gotta raise this preflop. For one thing we probably have at least marginally the best hand right now. Perhaps more importantly, it gives us a chance to get rid of the blinds. 88 doesn't like to invite a ton of folks to the party.

If a preflop raise gets the flop checked to us, then bet. If it moves the initial bet back to MP, raise to force a few out. As is, flop call is fine, but raise the turn. If that gets us a free showdown, take it. I would call the river as played.