Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Calling all programmers/website designers!!

First check out RunDownHouse's thread where he links to Pandora, its pretty badass. As a programmer with some web design history myself, I can see how this is possible, so Im wondering: I think we have the movie knowledge in this forum to make a similar site for movie picks...

One that would suggest movies the client might like based on some favorite movies.

Is such a thing necessary, and if so would anyone be willing to look into how hard it would be for us to make?

I think that compiling a databse like that would be hard if we had to do it ourselves, but we could make it almost like wikipedia, where users could input variables like directors/actors themselves.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Calling all programmers/website designers!!

If you're really serious about it you should contact IMDB because people there rate movies they've seen and you'd already have an enormous database to work with.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:46 AM

Yeah, thats the starting database Im thinking abuot using, if I could get past the montains of red tape that are surely in existance over there.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:47 AM

It would probably fairly easy, the hardest part like you said, is getting the movies, and determining which is linked with which. If you need any technical help, pm me. The question is how would you make a ton of money off a site like this?
Old 11-09-2005, 10:55 AM

I could do that - but I've done this before for sites that prove to be unprofitable.

You need to have a clear and obvious line to the profit.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:10 AM

Well then lets figure it out... could we market it to blockbuster? IMDB? Standalone with a forum for movie discussion??
Old 11-09-2005, 11:12 AM

I can't see that other stuff. Can you state clearly exactly what you've got in mind? What's it core thing?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well then lets figure it out... could we market it to blockbuster? IMDB? Standalone with a forum for movie discussion??

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it seems like a lot of sites, hollywoodvideo.com, amazon, already do something like this, but not to scale. Ie., you want to buy Goodfellas, and it reccomends the obvious, Godfather, Heat, Bronx Tale. If you could do it, so that blockbuster/imdb/hollywoodvid, could have acess or at least link to the site, so patrons can view more than the obvious reccomendations you could make some money. Something to the affect:
On retail sites/imdb- LINK=Click here for more reccomendations (after showing the obvious couple of movies then it goes to your site with 15-20 different movies, where they can choose to buy from the original site, and you get a cut. Hell, you could even throw a movie discussion forum on there, and while you are at it, throw some p**** affil ads on there.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:18 AM

I've built and had running for a coupla years a site that crawls other sites and gets prices, compares em, shows you the cheapest etc.

It started with links to reviews, trailers, wav clips, pictures etc etc

Had a movie forum.

All that stuff fell away, cos all people wanted was the price comparison.

I make enough - just about - to keep it running (and the only reason I do is for my CV/company portfolio).

Hate to put a dampener on it though - just realise it'll most likely be for fun, not profit.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've built and had running for a coupla years a site that crawls other sites and gets prices, compares em, shows you the cheapest etc.

It started with links to reviews, trailers, wav clips, pictures etc etc

Had a movie forum.

All that stuff fell away, cos all people wanted was the price comparison.

I make enough - just about - to keep it running (and the only reason I do is for my CV/company portfolio).

Hate to put a dampener on it though - just realise it'll most likely be for fun, not profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im a computer science major, this will be resume fodder as well. I know I'll make lil profit from it, thats okay.

Anyone else willing to help work on this or do I go it alone?