Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Dumping AKo preflop

right . . . or too tight?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (9 handed) converter

UTG ($885.50)
UTG+1 ($1000)
Hero ($1985.40)
MP2 ($990)
MP3 ($774)
CO ($620)
Button ($997.50)
SB ($105)
BB ($1832)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $20, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $120</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero folds
Old 10-23-2005, 03:02 AM

Default Re: Dumping AKo preflop

uhh, raise more preflop? min-raising is like the ultimate fish play.
really, make a raise to $40 then maybe he'll flat call with his AKo too and then maybe continuation bet the flop and he'll fold and you'll have gotten yourself a $100 pot.
also, given your weak raise maybe he'd reraise with a hand like AQ and you'd have to fold your AK.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:09 AM

I'd fold but I hate the min-raise.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero raises to $20

[/ QUOTE ]

Eww. You have a fear of big cards?
Old 10-23-2005, 05:14 AM

Other posters have mentioned this, I will re-emphasize - never min-raise pre-flop. You are telling everyone that you have an okay hand, not that great, and you just sort of wanna start building a pot in case you like the flop. With position, I'm re-raising with 57s since I know I'll take it down on the flop 2 times out of 3, or actually flop my hand and unstack you.

Kirk
Old 10-23-2005, 05:23 AM

Gotta fold. As far as mini-raise, not great, but I dont hate it as much as others if you do it in EP with 66, 77, 88, AND KK and AA. Shouldn't be your staple, but can be employed to change it up.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gotta fold. As far as mini-raise, not great, but I dont hate it as much as others if you do it in EP with 66, 77, 88, AND KK and AA. Shouldn't be your staple, but can be employed to change it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree. After the first caller, everyone is limping in with garbage due to "pod odds." Unless you're very good at getting away from AA on 58Qr board, you're just setting yourself up for a major headache.

Kirk
Old 10-23-2005, 05:52 AM

If by change it up you mean get stacked because 14 people and 2 cocktail waitresses see the flop b/c of your amazingly gay raise then I agree change it up(dont start with the anti-gay comments. I think men who double the blind in NL cash games actually enjoy having another man slam their penis into his ass.)
Old 10-23-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree. After the first caller, everyone is limping in with garbage due to "pod odds." Unless you're very good at getting away from AA on 58Qr board, you're just setting yourself up for a major headache.

Kirk

[/ QUOTE ]

disagree.

it's good to mix it up. people in this forum never seem to want to do that. if i minraise my AA and it gets called in 6 spots, i'm not getting married to my Q85r flop. however on the 10/20 on party almost every time there is a minraise and a sea of callers someone decides to take it down preflop with 57s and puts in a 200 dollar raise. then you punish them.

mixing it up is fun. but actually i'm starting to regret posting sh*t like this, from now on i'm just keeping these things to myself, ya know, holding them back.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:33 AM

fsl
if you are playing with very agressive players who will raise you since they sense weakness then I agree. I have played a lot of 2/4 and 3/6 with a little 5/10, but if that is the case at 10/20 then I agree with you.However at the stakes Ive played at I fin d it just creates 6 limpers and almost every tme I am reraised it is by a hand that would have reraised anyway.