Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 02:40 AM

Default Push AJo here?

Ultimate Bet $5+.50

Blinds are at 150/300. Still a ways from the money. I just got moved to this table and have only watched a couple hands. I've got 2700 after posting my BB. UTG min-raises to 600, folds to me, and I've got AJo. What's my move?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Push AJo here?

Call
Old 09-27-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call

[/ QUOTE ]
yea don't get too donked about AJo.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:00 PM

Call. Check raise all in if you hit the flop.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:55 PM

Ok, that's what I did in the actual hand. The flop came out three low diamonds and I held the Jack of [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]'s. Now what's the play? 1350 in the pot and I've got 2400. Lead out, check/fold, check/raise?
Old 09-27-2005, 01:59 PM

Your J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is probably no good here since he is probably sitting on two cards like J or higher and one of them can be a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] so forget the flush here. This is a tricky situation but if he don't got two high cards it's something like a pair in which case he got you beat.

It's a tricky situation but I would just let this one go with a check/fold. If you had more chips I would bet/fold to a raise.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is probably no good here since he is probably sitting on two cards like J or higher and one of them can be a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] so forget the flush here. This is a tricky situation but if he don't got two high cards it's something like a pair in which case he got you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

To really make this argument complete, you needed to add "even if he doesn't have any of those cards, he'll probably suck out on you anyway." Because putting your opponent on exactly the hands that beat you is just garden-variety pessimism, and we can do better.

Tell me, if the flop had come with 3 clubs, would the villain also rate to have a high club in his hand? What if the flop had come with 3 hearts, or 3 spades? Does he really rate to have all 4 suits covered?

Back in the real world, where your opponent does not rate to have one of three specific flush cards higher than yours, I would probably push to maximize FE. The situation where he is ahead of you AND has a higher flush draw is a nightmare, but in any other scenario, you will either induce a fold or end up in a coin flip. It's hard for him to call you with hands like AK/AQ if he doesn't have a diamond.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:35 PM

AJ is really weak in this situation to the mini raise. He got you beat one way or another. And I wouldn't push it here hoping he don't have anything. We will get him later on.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:44 PM

Wait . . . Why on earth are we flat calling about 1/4 of our stack to an UTG miniraise with AJo? This seems like the worst advice imaginable. I don't think I find and easier fold with no reads.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait . . . Why on earth are we flat calling about 1/4 of our stack to an UTG miniraise with AJo? This seems like the worst advice imaginable. I don't think I find and easier fold with no reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

You only have to call 300 more. However, I tend to agree that you're not likely to flop anything good with AJo other than top pair, so if you really think the miniraise from UTG deserves as much respect as a regular raise, I really can't see how you help yourself by calling to see the flop.

Miniraises are annoying and it's really hard to know what to do about them when you haven't seen the player before. I would hate to fold here and then find out that the guy miniraises every single hand, but you just don't know.