Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 07:30 AM

Default Re: Ayn Rand

[ QUOTE ]
I meant to imply that people who play poker and contribute nothing else are a drain on society.

contribution = volunteer work, charity, producing some sort of economic good or service.

people who do none of those things are a drain on everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a supposed free society, it's not up to you or anyone else what people do with their time.

But as long as you've begged the question, here it is:

What would someone like yourself do about people that you perceive to be a "drain on society", hitler junior?
Old 06-01-2005, 10:00 AM

Default Re: The Truth About Playing Poker For a Living

OK, the McDonalds incident was a poor choice. The point is, having an "honorable" job, does not make you an "honorable" person.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Ayn Rand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I meant to imply that people who play poker and contribute nothing else are a drain on society.

contribution = volunteer work, charity, producing some sort of economic good or service.

people who do none of those things are a drain on everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a supposed free society, it's not up to you or anyone else what people do with their time.

But as long as you've begged the question, here it is:

What would someone like yourself do about people that you perceive to be a "drain on society", hitler junior?

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in a happily free society, where people are entitled to be a drain. It's their choice. It's just not mine.

Seig heil.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a lowly plebe in the grand scheme of 2+2. And I'll most likely get flamed for making this my second post.

But, to generously paraphrase Jack Nicholson in "As Good As It Gets", people who quote Ayn Rand should have to shampoo my crotch.

Had to be said.

Savage

[/ QUOTE ]

He says that because "As good as it Gets" was written by James L Brooks, a typical Hollywood pinko.

Ayn Rand rocks.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ayn rand should seriously be the last person anyone ever quotes. shouldnt you have some redeeming qualities to be quoted?

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

EXPLAIN PLEASE.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do I make charitable contributions? No.

Do I have a nice bunch of friends? No.

Am I good to my family? No.

Is there anything noble about playing poker? From my point of view, yes.

Do I read books? Yes

Enjoy Art? No

Go out in the world? Yes

Is there anything really noble about 99.9% of the world. Yes, I feel that you are confusing the world with people, but the world itself is far more important than the things people do.

I am not "pro," but if I was I certainly wouldn't care about society and making contributions to it. I mean, do we really even need most of the crap that is being produced an consumed on a daily basis? Hell, we don't even need cars or roads or airplanes or anything.

Fuk progress.

We're progressing towards what?

I'm going to die one day and I'm not gonna spend my life working forty hours a week. I don't care what kind of "no good [censored]" this makes me in the eyes of blue collar wage slaves.

I have nothing with the outcast and the unfit; let them die in their misery.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not a lawyer suing McDonalds for their coffee being too hot. I'm not a doctor watering down his prescriptions to increase my profit line. I don't work for an insurance company using fear to convince someone to buy a lottery ticket on their health. I'm not some corporate CEO playing fast and loose with the numbers to cook the books and screw my 10,000 employees out of their pension funsd and lay them all off when I have to go to prison for two years du to a fraud conviction.

I play cards. I do it honestly. I am good at it. I take care of my family. THAT is honorable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.