Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Calling with extra chips in your hand

Heads up, I'm slow playing a set of kings. Opponent bets the flop, I grab some chips, announce that I'm calling and drop 4 of them into the pot. Opponent says that since I took extra chips past "the line" they need to stay in the pot and it was a raise. The dealer doesn't know what the ruling is but I said "Fine, I raise." He reraises me, I look disgusted and just call. I fill up on the turn and take down a huge pot.

What is the standard ruling for having extra chips in your hand when calling?
Old 05-31-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Calling with extra chips in your hand

If you announce "Call" then it should be a call as far as I know. If you don't make a verbal declaration and go out with a stack of ships and just try to drop a call in the pot, then some places will make you empty your hand.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:37 PM

Well it would depend when you said "call".
Old 05-31-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Heads up, I'm slow playing a set of kings. Opponent bets the flop, I grab some chips, announce that I'm calling and drop 4 of them into the pot. Opponent says that since I took extra chips past "the line" they need to stay in the pot and it was a raise. The dealer doesn't know what the ruling is but I said "Fine, I raise." He reraises me, I look disgusted and just call. I fill up on the turn and take down a huge pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is absurd. I've played B&M poker for five years in four different states, and nowhere have I seen such a rule. You can have all your chips in your hand and just call as long as you put down the right amount. If you verbally announced you were calling, then it's doubly absurd.

That was a move put on by your opponent, but glad you were able to take advantage.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:54 PM

Depends on where you are playing. I know mandalay bay enforces the rule about crossing the line indicates action. However, most places go by the chips you place on the table over the line. Personally, I think being that anal about action just causes more problems in the long run. I've seen several people hold chips over the table while they think about their move. Even on one of the WPTs Gus Hansen holds his chips inches away from the table and then pulls them back at the last second.

People who complain about these things are very annoying. I'm glad it worked out for you.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:56 PM

2 reactions (okay, 3, actually)

1. That dealer needs to be fired/retrained. If you verbally declare a call, you then CAN'T raise. It's called a string bet???? He might have heard of it?

2. If that had happened and it wasn't to my advantage that the other guy is insisting, I would immediately call the floor.

3. Since he was so clearly trying to work an angle, good for you. I hope you cleaned him out.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:04 PM

verbal bets are binding , in fact the opposite of true , you can not raise in most rooms once you accounce call.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of acting disgusted, you should have acted mad and kept raising, giving the impression of tilt.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That is absurd...You can have all your chips in your hand and just call as long as you put down the right amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely absurd. Many players call by grabbing a stack and cutting off the amount needed. It's one of the fastest ways to get chips out there. Are they all raising just because they brought the stack out to do this?

Where were you involved in this ass-clownery?
Old 05-31-2005, 03:38 PM

i would say that MOST people at bay 101 call with a full stack of 20 in their hand and just put down the necessary chips. in your case it sounds like it worked out well.

rj