Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 09:36 PM

Default AA Slowplay - Value of deception?

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Here's a hand I played the other day. Now, My thinking PF was to keep the BB in, and extract a couple more bets from both my opponents. I usually raise big pairs PF. After discussion with some poker pals (and threats of slappings if I cold-called AA PF again) I figure'd I'd post it up here to get some more analysis.

So, am I playing with fire by not re-raising PF, or is it a good play to try some deception now and then with big pairs PF? Should I *always* re-raise AA preflop?

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Crypto 1/2 Hold'em 8-handed

UTG raises, 2 folds, Hero calls, 4 folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.5 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB bets, UTG raises, Hero 3-bets, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, BB calls, UTG folds.

River: (9.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, Hero bets, BB folds.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB
Old 03-07-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Re: AA Slowplay - Value of deception?

I always 3-bet with AA if I can knock out people. AA is best played against 2 or 3 opponents. However, if you don't 3-bet a wide range of hands than you may easily be put on AA.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:06 PM

By reraising, you probably knock out the BB and end up with the same size pot, but one fewer opponent who might out flop or out draw you. Just get your AA cracked once by someone who would have folded to a pre-flop (re)raise and you'll have to make up a lot of extra bets through deception value. Reraise.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:08 PM

1/2 is considered micro for future reference
Old 03-07-2005, 10:11 PM

Never ever call two bets cold w/e AA always make it 3. The only time you should be calling preflop is HU against someone that 3-bet you. You then can occasionally not cap so that he wouldnt suspect you of AA but rather AK-AJ etc. catch my drift?

Not 3-betting in the above situation its just asking for that small blind to come in with two random suited or connected cards hit his strait on you and rob you of some BB's.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Long time lurker, first time poster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome.

[ QUOTE ]
So, am I playing with fire by not re-raising PF, or is it a good play to try some deception now and then with big pairs PF? Should I *always* re-raise AA preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never limp with AA. And by never, I mean what your English teacher means when she says never split infinitives or end sentences with prepositions. She'll tell you that when you become proficient enough, and your readers start becoming more sophisticated, then you can start getting fancy with your infinitives and prepositions. Until then, don't.

When you start playing in big games against sophisticated opponents, you can start getting fancy with your big pairs' play. Until then, raise and reraise.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Never limp with AA. And by never, I mean what your English teacher means when she says never split infinitives or end sentences with prepositions. She'll tell you that when you become proficient enough, and your readers start becoming more sophisticated, then you can start getting fancy with your infinitives and prepositions. Until then, don't.

When you start playing in big games against sophisticated opponents, you can start getting fancy with your big pairs' play. Until then, raise and reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preach it.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I always 3-bet with AA if I can knock out people. AA is best played against 2 or 3 opponents. However, if you don't 3-bet a wide range of hands than you may easily be put on AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lies.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lies.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly AA vs 9random hands still has about 30% equity
Old 03-08-2005, 12:35 AM

Ram and jam with it, that means capping preflop if possible, I have gotten sucked out enough to know this lesson. Take the free advice, protect your hand and don't get to fancy otherwise your going to kick yourself when you lose the pot to 84 because it was sOOted.