Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Chased, caught, cool?

[ QUOTE ]
I think the general school of thought is that you have a larger edge in hold em.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if Pokertracker nullifies that. I don't use any software for Stud because I don't know of any out there. I think PT gives borderline Holdem players an edge that borderline stud players don't get. Is there reliable software around for Stud?
Old 12-15-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there reliable software around for Stud?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, we get nothing. And if there were somthing equivalent to PT for stud it would be very difficult to show much besides the players very basic playing style which you could easily just make note of after playing with the person for a while.

The complexity of starting hands is a big reason for this.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:42 PM

Something like pokertracker would be very benefitial in this game to see if they way you are playing pairs, 3-flushes profitably or not. Just the ability to track your earnings and to replay hands graphically would make it valuable.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:52 PM

I think starting hands rely to much on up cards to accurately condense it down to pairs and 3-flushes and such.

I agree tracking earnings and replaying hands would be valuable but with a little work you can do this without software, but cutting a few steps out of the process would definately be beneficial.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm new to this game, too. Question about this hand - is it correct to call a raise on 3rd with a baby flush and no straightening possibilities? Seems -EV to me unless you are sure somebody will come along, or you are counting implied odds. How do you estimate implied odds in this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

if this is a fairly loose game and you can expect at least 1-2 other callers (assume 1.5) that means you are getting around 3.5-1 immediate odds on your call. if you add to that the implied odds if you make your hand, and the fact that if you don't catch a heart on 4th street you are done with the hand (low reverse implied odds), it makes this hand a call. IMO it is close, and I don't always make this call if the game is playing tight to a 3rd street complete, but you have to call here a majority of the time.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Found myself at a higher limit than I usually played but wanted the challenge and the tables I wanted to play were empty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of the time I took the open $30/60 hold'em seat while waiting for a seat in the $4/8 stud/8 game....

You don't chase flushes in stud. A reasonably live three-card flush is usually a good enough starting hand. A four-flush on fourth street is usually a very strong hand and should be treated as such. For that matter, flush draws are pretty strong in limit hold'em. They're dangerous in NLHE, though. Get 7CS4AP.

Calling third is fine. You simply have to bet out on fourth. You have a strong hand, and the other guys have pretty weak boards. You will make your flush something like 50% of the time, and it will be good most of the time. You have secondary possibilities, like you might make Aces or Aces up, which add value to your hand. Betting now may set you up to buy the pot later. Checking here is just hopelessly weak. I would usually continue betting on fifth, and what I did on sixth would depend in part on whether both of my opponents were still in. With only one opponent, I would be more inclined to continue betting, even without a pair, in the hopes of setting up a river bluff should the need arise. With two opponents, a bluff becomes a lot less attractive.

Did you use a converter? I'm just curious because it's formatted differently from what we're used to, and I didn't think that there was anything else out there. I notice that a couple of cards didn't get changed, so I'm guessing you did it by hand. There is a converter linked in the FAQ, greenage's profile, and pretty much every hand that gets posted. I like the format of greenage's converter better than this. I think it's easier to read, and it's what I'm used to at any rate. In any case, it's a hell of a lot faster than doing it by hand.