Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Is this a spot to wait for the turn to raise?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (18 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ______</font>
Old 06-22-2005, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Is this a spot to wait for the turn to raise?

I'm not waiting because I want to force out as many hands behind me as I can. This is a scary board, IMO. If you get cc'ers or 3bet, play very carefully on the turn.

-Jaran
Old 06-22-2005, 11:01 PM

I'd raise the flop. The pot is so massive that everyone on the flop has odds to call for everything including 2 outers. If everyone does call as they almost certainly should, the pot will be 12BB by the turn. If a raise comes on the end, it's going to be even bigger. If you raise, 2 outers can't call profitably, but probably will peel one off anyway.

There's no real way you can protect your jacks by waiting here, the pot is going to be too big. So just push them for value now and again on the turn and hope they hold up.

That's a sweet table.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:36 PM

I would call. Whatever happens on the turn, your pot equity will change dramatically. Almost 2/3 of the possible turn cards (Any A, K, Q, 8, 7, 6, 5, or spade) makes your hand very questionable. Raising gives people behind you 10.5:1 or better on the call, and you probably can't knock out many people with weak draws getting those odds. I don't like it, but I'll grit my teeth, call, and be ready to pop a favorable turn to clean out the stragglers.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:39 PM

Looks like this hand is gonna be a money-burner unless you can spike a Jack somewhere.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:43 PM

I actually like waiting for the turn. UTG likely has 2 of the 3 overcards potentially against us, and he's definitely not folding to a flop raise. The only thing you can hope to protect against is a single overcard that UTG doesn't have, or a 1-2 outer BD draw.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not waiting because I want to force out as many hands behind me as I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's the point of waiting to raise a double-bet turn blank - raising this pot even inside str draws should correctly call 21:2.
Raising the turn instead they'd be looking at a poor 6:1. You also might scare utg into checking the turn which is no good if you do get your blank.

Of course you have to be a little concerned that utg led into pfrr but if he's miscalculated he might be hoping to get you to thin the field by raising the flop (odds-wise there shouldn't be much thinning though except for longshots). Although in $0.5/1 I doubt that's what he's doing...
Old 06-23-2005, 12:04 AM

I wait here. This pot is too damn big to do much of anything for in terms of protection. If it plays out at you plan, then you can actually pick up some protection on the turn. And if it does not... oh well. It also saves you a bet or two if someone decides to ram-jam the flop with trips or teh boat.

-K
Old 06-23-2005, 12:09 AM

Easy flop raise for me. The board isnt that scary. Theres only a flush draw and more often than not there wont be a 9 floating around. No overcards and no str8 draw (yet). Id say this is a pretty good flop for JJ.

I raise for value, if not some type of protection.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:29 AM

Raise and find out where you are at.

UTG is probably just continuing with overs. If any of the others cold calls, watch out. Also, there aren't many turn
cards you will like to see, and will probably more often than not be faced with a 3-flush, overcard, or a straigtening(sp?)card, so go ahead and put in the bets now.