View Poll Results: 10/20 Full
Harder 1 2.70%
Easier 1 2.70%
About the Same 2 5.41%
NA - I don't play this level 33 89.19%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Better Movie?

so you are one of those i only have open-minded opinions about movies that appeal to me huh? there are plenty of movies that have won dozens of awards that i didnt like (english patient, driving miss daisy, amadeus) but i appreciate the talent behind it, i [censored] think celine dion's music sucks but i recognize she can [censored] sing.
learn to appreciate things on more than one level and maybe you wont be the "bitter guy" on these posts.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so you are one of those i only have open-minded opinions about movies that appeal to me huh? there are plenty of movies that have won dozens of awards that i didnt like (english patient, driving miss daisy, amadeus) but i appreciate the talent behind it, i [censored] think celine dion's music sucks but i recognize she can [censored] sing.
learn to appreciate things on more than one level and maybe you wont be the "bitter guy" on these posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has nopthing to do with bitterness. I'm not sure where that came from. I'm just pointing out that an award doesn't necessarily mean it's good. A lot of movies win awards, not because they're good, but because "the Academy" and other organizations are made up of a bunch of people with agendas. This is a fact, not an opinion. Ask any of the people involved in this stuff. It's roughly the equivalent of a high school election. It's a popularity contest and, in many cases, has little to do with which movies deserve anm award.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:32 PM

i think you are in the minority on this one...read the posts and you will see that unforgiven just maybe WAS a good movie.
and dont give me all that "it was more of a lifetime achievement award" nonsense, steven spielberg was nominated plenty of times before schindler's list won and are you gonna tell me that the movie won because it was essentially a "lifetime achievement award?"
Old 01-25-2005, 02:36 PM

I agree with you to a point, there are definitely agendas etc. at work in the Academy. But I do think you are taking it too far by saying the awards has little to do with which movie is more deserving.

True, sometimes an Oscar will be awarded based on past work, but even though there is another nomminee that perhaps was more deserving it's not like the ultimate winner was a bad performance. So I think it's pretty safe to say that every movie who wins an award is good.

It may not be my type of movie, and I'll be the first to admit that many award winning movies over the years just don't appeal to me personally. Nonetheless, it is a well done movie, or a well acted role, or a well written screen play, and for that it deserves some credit.

Cheers,

Swede
Old 01-25-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think you are in the minority on this one...read the posts and you will see that unforgiven just maybe WAS a good movie.
and dont give me all that "it was more of a lifetime achievement award" nonsense, steven spielberg was nominated plenty of times before schindler's list won and are you gonna tell me that the movie won because it was essentially a "lifetime achievement award?"

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not really sure what you're getting at or why you're even arguing this. I liked Unforgiven. It was a good movie. Since you brought it up, I'd say it probably was a "lifetime achievement award" but that doesn't really have anything at all to do with Spielberg. I have no idea why you mention him at all. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] And it was up against weak competition that year. But I wasn't arguing that Unforgiven sucked. I was just stating that in general "credentials" don't mean a movie is good.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you to a point, there are definitely agendas etc. at work in the Academy. But I do think you are taking it too far by saying the awards has little to do with which movie is more deserving.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reread my post. I said in many cases. Not all cases, or even most cases. And I wasn't referring to any particular movie.

Also as an aside, an award isn't even njecessarily supposed to mean something is a good movie. They give out so many awards now for such obscure things. Just an example. An award for some specific special effect in a single scene doesn't even imply the movie was good.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:58 PM

i mentioned spielberg cause schindler's list could have been under the lifetime achievement nod but in fact the movie was deserving like i thought unforgiven was.
anyway take care and gl at the tables
Old 01-25-2005, 03:00 PM

i think "Best Picture" implies the movie was good. listen to swede he understands.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think "Best Picture" implies the movie was good. listen to swede he understands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously, in this case, I wasn't referring to "Best Picture". i was referring to the "dozens of awards" you mentioned.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i mentioned spielberg cause schindler's list could have been under the lifetime achievement nod but in fact the movie was deserving like i thought unforgiven was.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that one movie wasn't a lifetime achievement award doesn't have anything at all to do with whether the other was or not.