Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Re: pocket 10s on the BB

nh. good discipline postflop. not 3-betting this preflop is a crime at these stakes.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:53 PM

3betting seems over aggressive to me with TT. There are just a lot of overcards that can come that will make you slow down. I think the three bet over inflates the pot and now the hero almost has to call down with a worse hand hoping to hit the other T.

At what pocket pair do you stop 3 betting. If you are going to tell me its for the trips value then would 22 and 33 be three bets also.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:59 PM

What about if hero had position on the limpers, pfr, and cc?
Old 10-24-2005, 11:00 PM

It's not for trips value. TT is a good hand. The CO just gave you an oppurtunity to get the pot possibly 3-handed, where TT will have even more of an edge.

Also, the pot is not so bloated that we have to call trying to hit a T. Hero evaluates on the turn, realizes it is likely someone has an Ace. He isn't getting proper odds to draw to 2 outs and folds.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:01 PM

the reason to raise preflop is not to eliminate people.

it is so people can, if they choose, put money into the pot while they are still an underdog.

you hold TT. villian holds A5. you are a huge favorite. raise and hope villian calls. sometimes an A will hit and you'll be behind but more times than not you'll win the hand and villians money he put in preflop. if you only called villian can see no A is on the flop and fold.

pretend for the next 10 hands you'll get AA. you'll raise preflop as you should. do you want the entire table to fold so you collect the blinds for 10 hands? or do you want the entire table to call and you'll win 20% of the time but the pots will be huge? i'll take choice B.

bwana
Old 10-24-2005, 11:05 PM

Okay, not to eliminate people, but to protect your hand (make their call unprofitable, or profitable for you). To avoid the "mathematical catastrophe" of getting beat by someone who would have folded to a bet or a raise.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:10 PM

Seems like you are already going to get your odds to hit your trips on the flop with just calling the raise.

Calling the PFR would also give you some ability to check raise somewhere down the road when the Overcards bet the flop with a Ten in it.

If you don't have the discipline to fold on the flop when you don't hit your trip and the overcard comes then I think the 3bet almost ties you to the pot.

I'm not saying the 3bet is horrible just very close. Would you 3bet 99?
Old 10-24-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, not to eliminate people, but to protect your hand (make their call unprofitable, or profitable for you). To avoid the "mathematical catastrophe" of getting beat by someone who would have folded to a bet or a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, that's what youre doing by raising preflop. youre making their call unprofitable (or at least hoping to if they dont have AA-JJ).

so once the board unfolds you can evaluate how you should play your hand. but TT preflop is a strong hand so be sure and play it like it is.

Old 10-24-2005, 11:17 PM

If I was in better position and knew that the others were committed to the pot then the 3bet is not such a big deal. I then think the huge pot created and the chance to get a free flop card because you were so aggressive makes the play more valuable.

I don't think you make enough people fold at this level to get it three handed and I don't think its strong enough to play when overcards come and there are so many people in the pot.

Its just a tough hand to play multihanded if you don't hit trips and I think the PFR call already gets you the odds you need.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like you are already going to get your odds to hit your trips on the flop with just calling the raise.

Calling the PFR would also give you some ability to check raise somewhere down the road when the Overcards bet the flop with a Ten in it.

If you don't have the discipline to fold on the flop when you don't hit your trip and the overcard comes then I think the 3bet almost ties you to the pot.

I'm not saying the 3bet is horrible just very close. Would you 3bet 99?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is it here and it really depends on how bad the other players are and how big your preflop equity edge. IMO playing this hand OOP 5 handed might overcome our preflop equity edge. But it is close. In this sitution I just call b/c I want to be able to c/r CO on a favorable flop and protect my hand.