Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 04:53 PM

Default PS 2/4: AJs

I was 8-tabling and (mis)thought it was a steal-raise, but am wondering if my re-raise is okay anyhow? Also, does anyone call this river?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB

Scott
Old 08-31-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: PS 2/4: AJs

You're ahead of JJ, but I don't think sane players value bet jacks on a AKQxx board after you 3-bet preflop. As for the preflop 3-bet, I think it's a little thin, but not entirely bad. Of course it becomes standard if open raiser is in a steal position.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:03 PM

Firstly, i'd probably fold this hand PF. Depending on the read and because of its Nut flush possibility, I can see the 3betting, because at 2/4 some people will openraise w/ JTs or a mid pocket pair. Raising does help you take control of the hand, but when he caps it you should be scared. All in all, I fold PF.

This is full of some loose calls, but i dont claim to be an expert, it just seems to me that the farther you get into this the more you should be cringing. How many outs do you give yourself on the Flop? The 4 10's are probably clean, but I dont know if you can even count the A at all, because he could be capping, AA-10's, AKs, AQs.

If i had a solid read on this player i might call, but it seems like a fold.

Feedback, im new myself!
Old 08-31-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Firstly, i'd probably fold this hand PF. Depending on the read and because of its Nut flush possibility, I can see the 3betting, because at 2/4 some people will openraise w/ JTs or a mid pocket pair. Raising does help you take control of the hand, but when he caps it you should be scared. All in all, I fold PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is too weak.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is full of some loose calls

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless I'm having a total brain fart right now, folding this one anywhere before the river is an absolute no-no. I have way too much hand to fold pre-flop, on the flop I'm getting 9.5:1 on a 10.5:1 draw to the nuts with plenty of implied odds to cover the spread, and on the turn I'm getting 6:1 on a 3:1 draw to the nuts.

[ QUOTE ]
The 4 10's are probably clean, but I don't know if you can even count the A at all

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, a ten gives me the nuts; there's no 'probably' about it. Second, I wouldn't have folded the river if I was counting the ace.

Scott
Old 08-31-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is full of some loose calls, but i dont claim to be an expert, it just seems to me that the farther you get into this the more you should be cringing. How many outs do you give yourself on the Flop? The 4 10's are probably clean, but I dont know if you can even count the A at all, because he could be capping, AA-10's, AKs, AQs.

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop call is easy getting 9.5:1 with a gutshot, bk flush draw, and discounted A outs. The turn call is super easy getting over 6:1 on a flush and gutshot draw. By the river I think we've realized that our pair of aces is good here close to never and the fold is in order.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If i had a solid read on this player i might call, but it seems like a fold.

Feedback, im new myself!

[/ QUOTE ]

Also Crimson there wasn't a loose call in this hand. Hero has 5.5 clean outs on the flop getting 9.5:1 he has 10/12 outs on the turn getting 6.25:1. As far as pre flop goes if you don't feel like AJs is enough to defend your blinds against an open raise your giving money away.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:41 PM

No way you fold his hand preflop. I am new here as well, and I honestly don't see why you fold the river to one bet. Are you 95 percent sure that you are beat in this scenario? Or is the pot not big enough for a crying call? Someone please explain.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:42 PM

this is a great hand, solidly played. i would be tempted to call the river but of course it's totally incorrect. nice hand, sir.

aseem
Old 08-31-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No way you fold his hand preflop. I am new here as well, and I honestly don't see why you fold the river to one bet. Are you 95 percent sure that you are beat in this scenario? Or is the pot not big enough for a crying call? Someone please explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

95%?? where do you get that number?

he's getting 8-to-1 and needs to win this hand more than 1 out of 9 times.

what does villian three-bet here and keep betting the whole way, including value betting the river, that hero can beat?

AK has him, AQ has him, AA beats him, KK beats him, QQ beats him. there is no question this is a correct river fold, although it looks very tempting to call.

aseem