Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 08:11 AM

Default Stealing w/J8s Dick Caught in Vice

Figured that'd get some attention. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Seriously, though, I'm fairly comfortable with how this played out, but I don't really have much knowledge on stealing or defending. I haven't had to do TOO much of that yet...

I have 45 hands on the guy, no player reads, sorry, but he's vpip 12 and pfr 2.

I really wasn't happy about the king falling on the river, because I figured that the ace was a good card for him to bluff at (sometimes people re-raise aces, sometimes they float them, so it's a reasonable bluff).

How do you guys think I played it?

It will be followed up with results and I'll ask how you guys thought he played it, too.

--

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB
Old 06-16-2005, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Stealing w/J8s Dick Caught in Vice

Preflop nice.

I think you can fold the turn against a 12/2 at this limit..

Edit: If not the turn the river, if he was by some chance bluffing it he probably just hit, although I can understand calling due to teh pot odds.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop nice.

I think you can fold the turn against a 12/2 at this limit..

Edit: If not the turn the river, if he was by some chance bluffing it he probably just hit, although I can understand calling due to teh pot odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... I kinda need player reads to properly conduct a steal attempt to showdown, and unfortunately I don't have that...

That being said ( [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ), a steal is a little different than a normal hand, and I don't really have many stats on how this guy conducts himself in a steal due to sample size.

--Dave.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:24 AM

Man, my dick is constantly caught in this vice. This is exactly how I would play this, but I never feel comfortable doing it. Blind steals are great until they call. I feel like if I make any sort of a hand I need to show it down.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:29 AM

Is this your first steal attempt against him? I would assume someone with his stats would have a defend range of mostly high cards, like Ax, Kx, QJ. He's got to fear the ace on the turn, I would rather raise the turn and maybe get him to fold his QJ or weak ace than call it down.

This is assuming you haven't been stealing every orbit and he's playing back, in which case I call down.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:54 AM

I fold the turn in this small pot.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:44 AM

You'd have to consider the likely range of hands that are going to defend here, especially against someone with such a low VPIP. Aces are at the top of the list. The pot is small and you're going to have to pay 2BB to show down a hand that probably just got owned. Fold the turn.

Since you didn't fold the turn, fold the river. I don't think you are good 1 in 6 times here.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You'd have to consider the likely range of hands that are going to defend here, especially against someone with such a low VPIP. Aces are at the top of the list. The pot is small and you're going to have to pay 2BB to show down a hand that probably just got owned. Fold the turn.

Since you didn't fold the turn, fold the river. I don't think you are good 1 in 6 times here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm folding, I'm folding the turn. Definitely not the river.

I don't have odds to chase the 5-outer on the turn, so I have to decide right there if I'm showing it down.

--Dave.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:34 AM

Default your mistake is definitely on the turn

Your steal attempt is a fine one. Your big mistake came on the turn. Calling is the last thing you want to do here. It gives you no information. The pot is small, so folding is still an option. It is probably your best option. That being said, I am not disciplined enough to just give up on this hand. I think I raise the turn. If he 3 bets, it is an obvious fold. If he folds, wonderful. If he just calls, he is probably checking to you on the river. If he calls and leads out on the river, fold it. Either way, it gives you more information about his hand and it won't cost you a single cent more than calling down the turn and river will. It also gives him the opportunity to fold. A turn raise is how I would do things for this hand. Folding isn't out of the question, but simply calling on the turn should be.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:53 AM

I'd probably fold on the river. Pot is not big enough to call when you are almost certainly beat.