Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Have You Ever Irritated an Entire Table?

I just finished a Hollywood 5.50 NL HE sit-in-go. (Yeah, I'm a real high roller). With 6 players left I ended up in a hand with the short stack that got checked all the way to the river. Well, I no hand at all. I had 10-6 offsuit, and there were a couple of overcards out there.

I noticed that the shortstack had $835 in his stack, so I bet $800 on a pure bluff. He quickly pused the rest of his chips in. I simply folded.

The whole table went nuts. "HOW CAN YOU FOLD???" they typed in all caps. "IT WAS ONLY $35 MORE!!! WORST PLAY EVER!!!!"

I just laughed and typed, "heh."

These guys just went on and on. One insisted I must have hit the wrong button. I said, "no." I'm wishing I had thought of something more clever like, "I didn't think my set would hold up," but I was too busy laughing. I'll have to remember that one for next time.

Anyway, people just crack me up. Seriously, the only way I could have won this hand was if the guy was calling off all his chips, with a 9 high. I didn't think that was too likely, and I didn't feel like exposing my ridiculous bluff. I had no idea at the time, though, what kind of entertainment value folding provided.

I usually don't do any chatting while I play, but I rather enjoyed seeing everyone get all riled up and assume I don't know how to play. I enjoyed it even more when I made it into the money while the know-it-alls got knocked out one by one.

Anyone ever bait the other players? Ever done something unintentionally that sent someone on tilt? Let's hear some good stories.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Have You Ever Irritated an Entire Table?

I was taking a shot above my bankroll, and against a 2p2er who I knew was better than me.

He made a play which seemed standard to me, but to an average player would look out of the ordinary... soooo.

I started berating him on how badly he played, I threw in words like "pot odds" and "reverse implied odds" although I made it clear that I didnt know what those terms meant.

Well, long story short, he tilted, played back at me, and I busted him. Felt kinda bad, but eh, c'est la vie.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:07 PM

Heh. Well, whatever it takes.

I'm thinking about giving myself permission to be a maniac once a week. You know, stir the pot, make outrageous statements, and see if I can get others on tilt.

I pride myself on having a lot of discipline even at low stakes, but I think it would do me good to go crazy once in awhile.

The other day someone complimented me as I dragged a pot, and I responded with, "Thanks. It's my first time. Am I playing ok?"

Kind of a dick move, but it had me laughing a bit.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:10 PM

one little thing thats nice to do, is as you steal the blinds, well make any moves pf, after all fold, say "come on, am I that seethrough?"

sadly enough it actually works.

and I like the idea of becoming a maniac once a week.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:19 PM

I think everyone has a natural style based on personality. Mine happens to be tight/aggressive, but I think sometimes you have to force yourself out of your comfort zone. For me, that means being a LAG or a maniac.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:24 PM

yeah, Im the same on that front.

I also think that opening up like that will improve your game by showing you places where the play is best made as a LAG.

and by 'you' of course, Im not specifically talking to you.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:31 PM

Well, I just sent a table coach on tilt. I sucked out on him, and he went nuts so I told him how nice it was to have him around to instruct us on how to play.

After he sucked out on me on an all-in where I had the best of it, I asked him if it was ok to complain about my bad beat because he seemed to be the expert on that kind of thing.

Soon after I knocked him out and won. Man, winning is so much sweeter when you have an asswipe know-it-all at the table. I honestly think people like that make me play better. Stirs up my competitive side.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:50 PM

This is exactly the reason I like to either bluff all-in on the river, or make my outrageous bluffs on early streets while there's still a faint hope I might draw out.

I once saw a guy in a Party MTT bluff something like 12K chips and then fold for another 5. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2005, 02:12 AM

No.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:46 AM

The other night, I called the floor on this lady who was abusing the "I want to see that hand" rule. The table broke like 2 minutes later because the lady started screaming at me, and everyone started to feel uncomfortable.