Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2004, 05:45 AM

Default Re: A10os marginal hand, how to play correctly?

Ok first of all thanks for all the comments, greatly appreciated. I'll attempt to explain my logic and thinking:

1) Preflop - ATos on the button is a +EV hand (+0.06BB according to PokerRoom stats), that is why I limped in, but point taken that it *may* be a raise situation but not a fold I would think.

BB raise doesn't scare me, he likes raising in the BB to build the pot for some odd reason, I've seen him raise with 58s, Q6s etc etc (I mean look at BB's passiveness after "building the pot")

2) Flop - I actually think I had 6 outs because AJ-AK would have raised and I discount BB's raise as discussed above. With 10 SB and 6 outs, I'm getting the right pot odds.

3) Turn - well I think the check is ok with so many ppl in the hand.

4) River - I didn't like the raise but think I have the best hand.

What do you guys think? I appreciate everyone's comments but pls keep in mind that if I played a standard hand perfectly, I wouldn't need to post it here now would I? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I need all the help I can get!

Thx - will post results later
Old 12-18-2004, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
12 to 1 pot odds to what? Second best hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you familiar with pot odds and outs?
Old 12-18-2004, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you familiar with pot odds and outs?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Please write a book on it.

Of course I am. Jeesus. But just because you have pot odds doesn't mean you need to call it down. What exactly are your goals with this hand? You could very well be behind trip 9s. Exactly what is your goal calling on this flop?

12 to 1 what? Call that crap down if your so inclined.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:36 AM

You may well be right about a flop fold but I'm not sure I agree with your got to have the nuts or be on the nuts draw before I call mentality. That may not be optimal play against LAGs and LPPs on party at this limit. But I could be wrong.

Trip 9's of course are possible, but the are only two plausible hands to me, 89s and 910s. Sorry, also quad 9's for the real pure nuts (pocket 9s). So with the exception of these 3 hands, my outs are live.

And should I be scared of a boat? can one realistically expect a 79os playing when making these calling decisions?

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP3 has Tc Jd (straight, jack high).
Hero has Ts Ac (straight, ten high).
SB has 2h 7h (two pair, nines and sevens).
Outcome: MP3 wins 13.50 BB. </font>

I know we should not be results oriented but I really did feel my outs were live as mentioned in previous posts.

So looking at the results, yes I did have the second best hand but no the flop call wasn't wrong (my outs were live)

BTW I don't only post losing hands as one of you guys alluded too, check out the bunch of BB special hands I posted (which Shillx and Ajax generously gave his insights on).

Thx again for the comments! I am no expert, I'll admit to that easily [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-18-2004, 06:49 AM

Sorry. My original point on this hand is you should raise pleflop if you wanna play.

The flop call sucks when you call PF. I don't see how you can really be ahead and I don't care about your odds - but calling 2 cold on the river sucks too.

Wimpy overall and misplayed river at beast.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:57 AM

The flop call sucks when you call PF. I don't see how you can really be ahead and I don't care about your odds - but calling 2 cold on the river sucks too.

This is really poor reasoning IMO. What difference does it make who raised PF? The pot is still the same size (and big enough to warrant a loose call). Folding the river is stupid given the previous action.

Shill
Old 12-18-2004, 07:00 AM

So is your vote limp, raise or fold preflop? Thx again!
Old 12-18-2004, 07:02 AM

Depends who is limping. Raise against typical players. Call against tightish players. Fold against players like me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Shill
Old 12-18-2004, 07:02 AM

Pre-flop limp is okay...but only because you're on the button. ATo is a hand I love to fold, but maybe I'm too tight.

You have the odds to call the flop with a backdoor flush and a backdoor straight + overcards...so I'm with you.

Turn is an easy check...still with you.

River call is good - you're likely splitting with MP3 and there's no need to drive up the rake.

Alex
Old 12-18-2004, 07:04 AM

ATo should not be an auto-fold, but only because there are situations where you can raise to isolate a weak player or steal the blinds.

However, for the most part, I treat ATo like a raise or fold hand. Maybe this is wrong on my part, but it doesn't play well multi-handed, and if I can't narrow the field, I don't want to be playing. So, if a raise won't be effective, I'm folding, if it will, I'm raising.

Alex