Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2004, 02:50 AM

Default A10os marginal hand, how to play correctly?

I think preflop limp is ok on the button, flop call ok? Turn check ok or bet out the straight draw? Is the river an overcall?

Thanks guys

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Hero calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: (7.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB
Old 12-18-2004, 03:16 AM

Default Re: A10os marginal hand, how to play correctly?

I've got to tell you I think I hate everything about this hand.

You start out poorly pre-flop and it gets worse from there.

Pre-flop:

If you think A10 off is a marginal hand then why are you cold calling with it ??

A10 off is NOT a strong hand. I would fold it to a raise in almost any position. If I did think it WAS worth playing though (loose table, lots of fish etc.) I would NEVER cold call. If it is good enough to come in for 2 bets, you should raise (to limit the field, increase pot if flop hits you etc.) it instead.

Flop:

Where are you going with this hand ?? Why continue with a pair (possible boat) and a flush draw on the board. You have 2 overcards and a backdoor flush draw which are both pretty weak at best. This is the type of flop that will cost you a lot of money chasing much more often than not. I would fold here without giving it a second thought.

turn :

Not much else you can do.

River :

You've got to be hating this, having to call 2 bets just to put in a crying call.

I'm guessing someone had a J 10 for a higher st8, or a boat to beat you. Otherwise you would have split and not posted.

Hope this didn't come across as too gruff but these are the kind of hands that (if you play too many of them) make it hard for your winners to make up for.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] busguy
Old 12-18-2004, 03:20 AM

Busguy - I just deleted a similar response because I felt it was too negative. Anyway, I think you're right on.

If you want to play ATo on the button then raise. Don't limp in with it. It's not designed for that here. Also I think you're behind on the flop. Why you call is beyond me.

Calling 2 cold on the river is just bad news here.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've got to tell you I think I hate everything about this hand.

You start out poorly pre-flop and it gets worse from there.

Pre-flop:

If you think A10 off is a marginal hand then why are you cold calling with it ??

A10 off is NOT a strong hand. I would fold it to a raise in almost any position. If I did think it WAS worth playing though (loose table, lots of fish etc.) I would NEVER cold call. If it is good enough to come in for 2 bets, you should raise (to limit the field, increase pot if flop hits you etc.) it instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero limped then called a raise after him.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:40 AM

oops. Serves me right for reading to quickly.

Ok, I hate it a little less pre-flop. Post flop the comments stand.

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] busguy
Old 12-18-2004, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where are you going with this hand ?? Why continue with a pair (possible boat) and a flush draw on the board. You have 2 overcards and a backdoor flush draw which are both pretty weak at best. This is the type of flop that will cost you a lot of money chasing much more often than not. I would fold here without giving it a second thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's getting 12:1 with two overcards, backdoor nutflush draw, and backdoor straight draw. You may discount his outs slightly because of the paired board, but there's no reason to think anyone has a full house. He also the button. Folding here would be kind of bad, don't ya think?

I think the hand was played fine. Preflop action is debatable - raising, limping, and folding could all be the correct play depending on the situation, but who cares about preflop? River call is a MUST.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:00 AM

I really only think raising this hand preflop is the right play and I am pussycat as far as PFR agression goes.

I think the hand would have been substantially easier to play with that raise.

Backdoor flush draw is 27 to 1 to hit. And you're right you have to discount that because of the paired nines. Combined with a backdoor straight (and likely split pot) I am not sure you can even call this on the bet on the flop. This seems like an easy fold to me.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:15 AM

The PF limp is hardly a bad play. ATo is like a small pocket pair ... you want to see the flop cheaply. He's got position so he can run if the heat is too much. And at these levels, people are coming in with much worse. Much, much worse.

The flop call is bad, even though the pot is big, there's so many ways to lose even if you do improve that it's simply not worth it. You took a flyer on a speculative hand and missed. Ditch it.

That said, given it was checked around on the turn, I can't imagine anyone out there with anything strong. MP2 wouldn't check a monster with his mediocre position and no one else has shown anything to this point.

The river call is mandatory. We can rule out a boat or better given the turn action, and are you going to fold the 2nd nuts for two bets back to you? Yeah, right.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:20 AM

The Hero is getting 12:1 pot odds.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:13 AM

12 to 1 pot odds to what? Second best hand?