Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 10:58 PM

Default Top 2 OOP

MP3 and button are both known to bet when checked to. UTG is unknown.

I debated whether to bet or check raise the flop. I finally determined that check raising would be better since I would most likely get a late position bet.

Did I overplay the hand?

Party Poker 3.00/6.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6.00 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (9.00 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP3 calls, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

River: (18.00 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 20.00 BB.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Re: Top 2 OOP

I don't think I 3-bet the turn, but I think it's close either way. Also, raising preflop would have been really sexy.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did I overplay the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Your two pair is very vulnerable, as a number of turncards produce either a higher two pair for someone else or a straight. Additionally, given the action you may be up against a set. Jamming early seems to me to be what you DO NOT want to do.

Instead, find your aggression on the turn. If you had let MP3 p[ut the last raise in on the flop, it very well might've been checked to him on any non-action turncard (such as the 5h that fell), in which case you could safely C/R and face the field w/calling two cold.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:10 PM

The flop is so scary that it's possible you bullied UTG+1 into calling you down with 88 or even 76s. (And UTG+1's flop bet/cold-call, turn raise does represent a big hand.)

Probably I'd start calling down after UTG+1 popped the turn. I'm worried about the 16 available combos of QJ, and I'd really dislike it if I 3-bet and UTG+1 capped.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, raising preflop would have been really sexy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to add sexiness to my repetoire.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:59 PM

I dig slowing down on the turn.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I 3-bet the turn, but I think it's close either way. Also, raising preflop would have been really sexy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising preflop here would have been the smart play, that way you get a large multiway pot with a hand that works great in that situation even though you are OOP.

When he pops you on the turn you are losing this hand the vast majority of times, I would be going into call down mode here since the pot is relatively large.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to add sexiness to my repetoire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you *are* the macdaddy. You really should have had it already.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why it would be all that sexy. Live, sure, once in a while. Online, meh.

Yes, its prob a breakeven equity thing. But your OOP-ness sucks for the follow-up. Meh. Maybe its just me but I'd feel the need to bet a ton of flops after raising pre-flop in this spot. I suck at checking, I guess. Not that this would be a flop to check, but others would be, for sure.