Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2004, 01:39 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Official Martial Arts Thread

something that is more focused on striking than submission
Old 11-09-2004, 01:45 PM

kung fu is great. it's very challenging physically (if you're looking to get in shape). i think it's elegant, it's extremely developed, it's been practiced for a long time by many people. as far as "practicing what they preach," well, kung fu people do too. you've probably seen on tv where martial arts people are breaking bricks on their heads and stuff - kung fu people really can do that.

http://www.shaolins.com/shaolin6.htm
Old 11-09-2004, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Pro-wrestling wins!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Boxing is the best fighting skill to learn if you want to win fights in the real world. Remeber boxing is about getting in a ring and fighting. If you box for long enough you will get much better at absorbing the intiall shock of a direct hit (by a fist at least) this will give you a massive edge over opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree that boxing is good training for real world fights, but it is not enough by itself. If you do not know how to kick, you are putting yourself at an extreme disadvantage. You can f*ck someone up a lot more and from farther range with a kick than a punch.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
something that is more focused on striking than submission

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't be serious. Maybe if you were guaranteed to knock your opponent out on the first hit. What happens when he just takes two blows, gets in close, and then breaks your knee and your elbow while choking you.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:03 PM

"something that is more focused on striking than submission "

yeah, a kung fu strategy of redirecting your agression would kick ur ass
Old 11-09-2004, 02:14 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

yes, i can be serious. choking takes time. when i say "striking" i'm referring to both standing and ground. if i'm in a crowded area and might get jumped at any second by another person, i would much rather have positional advantage on the ground while striking than a dedicated, vulnerable posture for a submission move.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:14 PM

How about a combination of Akido and Jui Jitsu.

Then when astro runs up and throws a silly punch at us, we can flip him on his back and then wrap our legs around his head till he passes out.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:17 PM

read all the posts (like the first one i made) before you run off with stupid assumptions
Old 11-09-2004, 02:19 PM

Ok, I'll admit that if it is me vs multiple people a submission/grappling style is not going to be the best choice.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:21 PM

A couple of years before i got to high school, we had a D-1 state champ at 130 lbs (weight class might be off). So he was normally around 150, really a pretty quiet guy, not physically imposing at all. The story has come down that while he was in college at a bar two cops started hasseling him, pushing him around and talking [censored] to him. I never heard why but some cops are just assholes sometimes. By the end of the story both cops are hospitilized and the hero of the story is left with barely a bruise. I personaly believe the story as i know the guys circulating it, but anyone who has seen a high school state champ at any weight class can easily see how it could be true at the very least.
The charges that were filled against him were droppend and both cops fired when someone who was videotapingmost of it came forward.