Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 09:37 AM

Default Do you say anything about this dealer error

Playing last night at Foxwoods and the following situation came up. I am not in the hand when the following occurs:

There are 3 players in the pot and on the river the shortstack wins the pot. The dealer is matching the shortstacks stack with the 2 opponents larger stacks. As he is doing this the dealer adds an extra $5 chip into one of the stacks which would basically give the shortstack an extra $5.

I notice that and tell the dealer that the stacks are not the same size. Now the shortstack who has just won this $200 pot gets pissed at me and tells me to be quiet since I was not in the pot. We got into an argument about this and he felt that it was none of my business.

I thought it was a no-brainer decision to speak up and make sure the pot is correct. I would say something if I was the shortstack. Although I want to win, I don't want to do it by cheating or pulling an angle.

So do you keep quiet or what?

As an aside the the guy who won the sidepot was a megafish and would surely be giving the $5 back to the table soon enough. The shortstack would buy-in for $40, lose and then rebuy. He was probably stuck 200-300.

Ken
Old 07-28-2005, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Do you say anything about this dealer error

I would have spoken up, but I would have continued the dialogue with the dealer and ignored the player. If the dealer in turn ignored me, or could not give me any technical or rules-based reason why there should be extra money there -- no matter how small -- I would involve the floor.

That I was not involved in the pot is immaterial. I will be involved in future pots with this dealer, if not the mouthy player who berated you, and I want the dealer to know he's got to deal a square game.

I fully accept that expecting this sort of dealer competency at Foxwoods is akin to a search for cherries in a cathouse, but if the customers don't ask for good service, the dealers and the house sure the hell aren't gonna initiate it.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:26 AM

I constantly tell people when they put in too much or too little into the pot. No brainer.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:26 AM

No question, you did the right thing [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2005, 11:34 AM

Nit alert!

[ QUOTE ]
If the dealer could not give me any technical or rules-based reason why there should be extra money there -- no matter how small -- I would involve the floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes! Super Nit alert.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:40 AM

I think the real question here though is whether or not this dealer deserves tips.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yikes! Super Nit alert.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm comfortable with that assessment. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2005, 11:49 AM

That was the funny thing. When justifying why he wanted that extra $5, he claimed he was going to tip the dealer the $5!

Ken
Old 07-28-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yikes! Super Nit alert.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm comfortable with that assessment. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is very un-nitish of you to admit your nittyness. Anyway, I think getting the floor involved for a five dollar error may be excessive. Pointing it out should do the trick.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:37 PM

Point taken on the nittyness. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I guess I see many people say nothing in similar situations, so I get the urge to say something.

I would probably be best served by taking a walk around the poker room after unsuccessfully discussing it with the dealer, to unsteam, before saying anything to the floor, and then see if my attitude was the same at that point. Also -- If this was the dealer's first offense, I agree the floor option would be way too much.