Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2004, 02:48 PM

Default pot commit him

Okay 3 handed in SB with black AA, no read on new player that just sat, I suspect he is okay though. Raises to $40 on button, he has 900 i have him covered, I raise to $120, he calls. Flop comes

Kd 4h 6h

I bet $200 he calls, turn is Qc. Hm, not my favorite card. Pot is $640 he has $650 left. Now, I figure he might have me beat, or he might have a made inferior hand without too many outs. I think the odds of a draw are very low. I am pot comitted so against a better made hand is not worth considering, it's only how to play best against a made worst hand. I decide betting $300 is the best because he could think I have a made mediocre hand and am playing it like a clown. And when I bet all in on the river he will be pot committed. So I get all his money in when he has a worst made hand and don't scare them away by going all in.

Thoughts?
Old 11-19-2004, 03:21 PM

Default Re: pot commit him

i like it a lot, on a board without the 2 hearts I'll sometimes check the turn and do a stop-n-go. But with AhKh a possibility, I like your line.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:37 PM

I like this line also. I use it with overpairs or sets a lot of the time, where i'm not a sure winner, but i'm holding em till the end. There is a point in the hand where my goal is to get all the chips in the middle, and your approach is a good way to put him in. Three hundred is a good number because its hard to decipher if you want a call or not.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:41 PM

Yep, get half his stack on the turn, and half on the river. You're not folding so you get the most when you're ahead.

Justin A
Old 11-19-2004, 06:40 PM

yes you only lose money doing that if he has a draw he'd call all in with right there, or if he has more than a 9-out draw. you gain if he'd call the rest by halves but not all at once.

bet the max they'll call.

matt