Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 03:29 PM

Default 2/4 NL- If it weren\'t for luck, I\'d lose everytime

10 handed Online
I hate when people bet small on the flop. At this particuliar table, I've probably raised 300 times in the past 4 orbits and cbet 90 percent of the time. I think people are getting sick of this. However, this is the Party 2/4 NL game and it is pretty rocky.

some rock in early position limps and an unknown villain (400ish) limps in MP, I raise to 20 with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Both call.

Pot: 65ish
Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked to villain who bets 25. This bet is for sissies and fairies, so I raise it to 75 which is definitely a girly raise. Should I have made it 125ish instead? He makes it 125 for me. I call. I think, maybe he has a draw or something. Wouldn't a big hand want to protect it? Typing out this hand wants to make me cry so far.

Pot: 310ish
Turn: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Who cares if he has a draw or not, now I have a draw!

He bets 100, I want to see this river cheaply. I call.

Pot: 500ish
River: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He checks, I hit my draw, sort of. I check cause I hate money. Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: 2/4 NL- If it weren\'t for luck, I\'d lose everytime

KJo - 10 handed....Not a raising hand....Fold Flop re-raise...
Old 12-30-2005, 04:12 PM

Bet the pot on the end and make him fold hands better than yours

EDIT: Ok, that might be all-in for villain, so only do it if he will lay down a set.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:16 PM

I'm raisng KJ in LP 10 handed. I'm also raising tons of other hands way worse than KJ. If the table is looser than usual, I'll tighten up.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:18 PM

My issue with raising with K/J is that it has reverse implied odds. I would much rather raise with 8/6 suited, though it is a much worse hand, at least I know where I am post flop.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:31 PM

Here's the thing. I expect people to raise with AK and note the people who don't. Then with KJ, I'm fearing KQ. I very rarely play hands that go, check, cbet, call, check, check, check, check (or bet call) on K high flops against the same opponent twice if they show KQ or AK the first time.

Also, I probably play more 2/4 NL full ring on Party then any other human on earth. So, people tend to recognize me. So if people notice I am raising with KJ in LP, they are paying me off a lot more when I have bigger hands. So few of my hands get past the flop anyway (2/4 is pretty tight a lot of the time), that I don't mind the advertising value.

Also, I like hitting top pair. Most of the time when I hit top pair, I'm ahead. Even with K2, I don't get too nervous as long as I hit a k (and excersize pot control)
Old 12-30-2005, 04:41 PM

Helpful to know what position you are in. I assume you are LP and not off the blind.

This is kinduv a dangerous board, so I'm not a fan of your smallish raise on the flop. I think you are correct to bet more, ~125, something that says you're not [censored] around. His re-raise to 125 probably means he's on a big draw and wants value for it. If he's rocky, this makes sense. Really, given you have the Jh and the board shows a Kh, you can really narrow your players hand down here: 7h6h, KQh, Ah9x, Ah8x. You should charge him for his next card, if you want to continue playing the hand.

The turn:

Yeah, I hate players like this too. 100 into a 310. I encounter this nonsense all the time, and I want to rip my hair off. Anyway, I just can't see very much that you are ahead of now. All things considered, a J is not helping you on the river. A heart may help you, unless nitty has Qh or Ah already. Both are possibilities given how this hand is played. So, the only cards that may help you is a K or a Q. That gives you 6 outs. The reverse implied odds are pretty stacked against you, no? I lay this one down on the turn, it reeks of trouble.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:43 PM

Yeah, see, this analysis right here exercises the game of poker as a living, changing thing, and not as a categorical analysis that exists in a vacuum.