Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2004, 01:21 AM

Default Tournament Play v. Ring Games, what is the draw to either game?

I saw a great post by Paul Philips in the WPT section talking about Tournament play Here. I think the main draw to big tournaments are More Fame than fortune. I think people who play these tournaments are in it more for name recognition than the Money. The money is the bonus part of the tournament. I dream of playing in one of these and winning. But how realistic is it?

I like the idea of winning a trip to get a vacation out of it, but just to go play, i dont know if I would try. Kind of like the UB Aruba trip, I stopped trying after the 10k trips were stopped.

I guess it goes back to MM or DS quoting that it more profitable in the long run for a good poker player to play the Ring games more than Tournaments. There are better odds a player from the Internet will win the WSOP again in 2005 than an established pro.

What is everyones view on this matter. Are you seeking the FAME or the Fortune? And if you played only Tournaments, do you think you can make enough money out of them? Or should you do what most people do, stick to cash games?

Big O
Old 09-18-2004, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Tournament Play v. Ring Games, what is the draw to either game?

[ QUOTE ]
Are you seeking the FAME or the Fortune? And if you played only Tournaments, do you think you can make enough money out of them?

[/ QUOTE ]

I seek neither [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I play poker as a hobby. But I still want to play it to the best of my ability. Lately I have been playing far more tournaments than ring games. I play more tournaments because they are more enjoyable way to pass the time for me. I know if I was just seeking money (income) I am much better off playing ring games. Tournaments have much higher variance. For me anyway? But the thrill of outlasting the field and the joy of a final table makes all that variance worthwhile.

Quite simply I play for fun and I find tournaments more fun. Multitabling ring games can be very profitable though. But it seems like too much work to me and I like my job a lot more than juggling 4 poker games at once. So while I still play ring games when the mood strikes me I find tournament play a much more enjoyable way to pass the time. I know though that if I was ever forced to pay the bills via poker that ring games would be the only logical way to do it.

I'm not seeking fame or fortune. Just a fun hobby. If I ever lucked out and scored in a big tourny the fame and fortune would be just fine though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2004, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Tournament Play v. Ring Games, what is the draw to either game?

Don't forget Sit and Goes - the crack of Poker.