Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-24-2005, 07:21 AM

Default Re: stars 30/60, i am too safe = sorry?

I agree w/ flawless here. Lately I've dumped hella chips into pots like this in similar spots and I'm almost always behind. Nothing wrong with a check/call on the river. You could even do a check/call on the turn. Hard to fold b/c he's an unknown.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sit in the BB first hand, get the 2 Black Aces.

raised in mp, someone i have never seen.

i three bet. he calls.

flop K 5 3 rainbow.

i lead, get raised, three bet, he caps, i call.

turn J (no suits), i lead, he raises, i call (?)

river 5, i lead, he raises, i call (?)

the reason for my question this line is that it has seemed to come up quite a bit lately.

i have a big hand, most likely the best hand, i have no problems with aggression, but............

it seems as though i may be being a touch to safe in spots and not extracting the maximum.

all thoughts and comments appreciated, i know this is a fine line.

cheers. J.

[/ QUOTE ]

your line seems fine to me. IMO 3betting the turn would be spewing. sure looks like he had 55.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:07 PM

you played it just fine and gave as much action as can be tolerated. maybe even a check call on the river was right depending on whether you though he might have bet a lone king.
no way were you to put another bet in on the turn. you cant play cards and look back after knowing what they had and find a way to have won more or lost less. you can only play on your read and probable hands he may have and yours wasnt looking so strong at the turn or river.
dont drink my wine up if your stash runs low.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:25 PM

won't be results oriented, just trying to come up with the right line regardless of what they "had", not doing the hindsight is 20/20 thing, i hope!!

and for the wine stash, it is plentiful and i haven't been drinking any at all, how sad is that?

cheers. J.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:46 PM

Here is a hand where I used the same line, although the raiser was someone who was fairly aggressive.
Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $20.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (14 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Turn: (11.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (17.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 21.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ah As (one pair, aces).
Button has Qc 8h (one pair, queens).
Outcome: Hero wins 21.50 BB. </font>
Old 12-25-2005, 01:23 PM

After capping the flop and raising the turn he's a lock to bet the river, so I'd just call the raise and check/call the river. This looks like one of those times where the 1 in the 4:1 odds hit and AA was cracked.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you not 3-bet the turn, yet donkbet the river? This seems inconsistent to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
He just outdrew KJ. Furthermore this is the only way of guaranteeing

i) Getting to showdown
ii) Putting at least 3 bets in on turn and river.
iii) Putting at most 4 bets in on turn and river.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
you now beat KJ, 3 betting the turn is pretty big, then he 3 bets, you call, and c/r the river. i dont like bet/3 betting the river because if he caps, then how you feeling? you fail to say how many ppl start the hand, if is a full table, or short handed? i dont see a reason to see him as having anything else, but ive seen ppl call a 3 bet with JJ, and play as if hes spiked that set on the turn... i like a c/r the river and a 3 bet the turn...

[/ QUOTE ]

for a minute there i thought the game leaped to another level w/out me noticing. 3 bet the turn! c/r the river! holy crap. lol