Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 03:17 AM

Default Would you risk it all late in a major tournament with 88? TJ just did

With blinds at $1000-$2000 and $400 ante. TJ bet 9.5K pre-flop with 88. Gus Hansen move over the top of him all in. TJ called. Hansen showed AQ. Queen on the river and TJ's once impressive stack is now 1/10 of the Chip Leaders.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Would you risk it all late in a major tournament with 88? TJ just

If he knew it was a race (which he must have, that or he thought gus was just overplaying a lower pocket), he might have done it just to have a monster chip stack and risk taking down Gus. I've done it before, but obviously never at a tournament of that magnitude; I don't know that I could do that, but who knows, TJ has quite a bit more experience than I.

Also, I don't know the stack sizes, but it's possible he was getting the right odds, dependent on pot size and the range of hands he put gus on.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Would you risk it all late in a major tournament with 88? TJ just did

Gus Hansen is known to go over the top of someone with anything, TJ probably thought Gus didn't have much of a hand that time.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Would you risk it all late in a major tournament with 88? TJ just did

[ QUOTE ]
With blinds at $1000-$2000 and $400 ante. TJ bet 9.5K pre-flop with 88. Gus Hansen move over the top of him all in. TJ called. Hansen showed AQ. Queen on the river and TJ's once impressive stack is now 1/10 of the Chip Leaders.

[/ QUOTE ]

What was TJ's total stack? If it was more than half he was pot commited with blinds so high and calling was a must.... Your not giving enough info...
Old 10-20-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To paraphrase OOT's catchphrase, without table reads this thread is worthless.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im curious where you got this info. According to pokerwire, TJ raised, Gus re-raised from the button and TJ moved all-in. This is a big difference from what you wrote.