Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 05:27 PM

Default An opponent with a photographic memory

Someone I play against recently told me he has a photographic memory. He plays things kind of close to the vest, so I didn't ask him what kind of advantage that gives him in poker.

If anyone out there has a photographic memory, can you comment on the edge it gives you in poker? Any advice for what the rest of us can do against this edge?
Old 08-17-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: An opponent with a photographic memory

I have a photographic memory and it enables me to remember a great number of situations in poker. I will often remember not only specific hands but the expressions on my opponents' faces as they have played them. Sometimes I startle myself at the information I'm able to recall.

As for tackling such a player, I would suggest being slightly more deceptive. Remember that a little deception goes a long way. Every time you attempt to make a play for advertising or deception, you generally are playing in manner less than optimal for the current hand in an effort to make up for it later. Even raising 97s on button in front of 6 limpers may result in this opponent remembering that you do in fact raise with mediocre hands. Check-raising as a bluff and ending up getting caught will also make your opponent remember this little fact. But with an incredible memory, it will only take two-three small acts of deception to get the message across. Other than that, just mix it up a little bit when in a shorthanded pot with him.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:23 AM

In one of Malmuth's essays he argued that photographic memory would be a great thing to have in seven card stud, for pretty obvious reasons
Old 08-18-2005, 02:06 AM

Von Neumann had a photographic memory and was supposedly a poor poker player. And it couldn't have been that he didn't know the math.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:53 AM

Default Hello,Andy! Von Newmann could not..

tolerate mistakes from his students.
He was not capable of playing poker correctly because he had NO patience and discipline.
SittingBull
Old 08-18-2005, 05:47 AM

I bet you are able to memorize all the probabilities needed in poker. Do you call? I think that's a huge advantage. Now you just have to apply them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Have you ever tried how many PI decimals you can memorize? A friend of mine with normal memory won a bet at school after being able to memorize 100 decimals of PI.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Von Neumann had a photographic memory and was supposedly a poor poker player. And it couldn't have been that he didn't know the math.

[/ QUOTE ]

Immensely ironic, given that he wrote a book on game theory.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:10 PM

I wrote out a cheat sheet of all the odds of hitting certain outs. I am easily able to remember all the odds by picturing the sheet in my head.

Memorizing digits of pi offers me no advantage, seeing as how most computers store the value in memory. I doubt I could make a decent living hunting down prop bets for the digits of pi. Although, it does make for a neat party trick.

I do remember bizarre things at bizarre times, though. I was once able to recall the 5-digit number on the back of my grade 2 schoolbus... 12 years after the fact at a bar with my buddies.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wrote out a cheat sheet of all the odds of hitting certain outs. I am easily able to remember all the odds by picturing the sheet in my head.

Memorizing digits of pi offers me no advantage, seeing as how most computers store the value in memory. I doubt I could make a decent living hunting down prop bets for the digits of pi. Although, it does make for a neat party trick.

I do remember bizarre things at bizarre times, though. I was once able to recall the 5-digit number on the back of my grade 2 schoolbus... 12 years after the fact at a bar with my buddies.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the early hours of Saturday July 2, 2005, a Japanese mental health counsellor, Akira Haraguchi, 59, managed to recite Pi's first 83,431 decimal places from memory, thus breaking the standing world record (Wikipedia)
Old 08-18-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the early hours of Saturday July 2, 2005, a Japanese mental health counsellor, Akira Haraguchi, 59, managed to recite Pi's first 83,431 decimal places from memory, thus breaking the standing world record (Wikipedia)

[/ QUOTE ]

I once doubled the number 2 thirteen times in my head.

PairTheBoard