Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 02:54 AM

Default Phillips\' wonder drug (also posted on WPT forum)

Paul Phillips' Modafinil endorsement has been brought up on an eithical level already.

I just want to know if the stuff works.

Does anyone who doesn't have narcolepsy or sleep apnea use Provigil? Anyone use it occassionally for motivation and focus?

I'm skeptical of any wonder drug, but the more I read about this stuff, the more I think it could help me.

Just curious ...
Old 07-11-2005, 03:49 AM

Default Re: Phillips\' wonder drug (also posted on WPT forum)

Where was the ethical discussion? I'm interested in that thread. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2005, 04:38 AM

Amphetamines (like Speed) are very useful for playing poker.

Doesn't mean you should use them though.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Amphetamines (like Speed) are very useful for playing poker.

Doesn't mean you should use them though.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are definitely something you shouldn't mess with unless you're under medical supervision. Amphematines are neurotoxic.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where was the ethical discussion? I'm interested in that thread. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I'm boring
Old 07-11-2005, 02:17 PM

Modafinil is not truly an amphetamine, but it is an amphetamine like compound. (I won't go into detailed pharmacolgy) Used primarily for promoting wakefulness, it also has been reported to produce stimulatory and euphoric effects.
Not so great for motivation, but it may slightly improve focus. Mostly, it just does not let you sleep.
As an interesting aside, it is the only drug approved by the US military for the use by pilots on trans-oceanic flights.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:54 PM

The key part of the article was the fact that he was diagnosed with ADHD which would account for his lack of focus and concentration. This also tells us that he's under medical supervision which means his need for the drug is real and not a part of some overall strategy to enhance his play (although it did). Adderall, the initial drug he was prescribed, is quite commonly prescribed for this condition in adults and children was not suprising but his being prescribed modafinil (Provigil) was due to it's sole approved indication being for narcolepsy (excess daytime sleepinesss), ADHD being a rather novel indication. I personally don't believe he's doing the poker world a great service by his open promotion of some wonder drug that he believes has improved his play because there are so many young and very impressionable players just getting started who'll for sure look to any possible avenue to get that advantage - books, video, internet, and yes even drugs.

A very dangerous precident has been set.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Modafinil is not truly an amphetamine, but it is an amphetamine like compound.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is false unless you handwave "-like" into virtual meaninglessness.

[ QUOTE ]
(I won't go into detailed pharmacolgy)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be a little fascinated to see you go into your version of detailed pharmacology. Implying that you can rattle off detailed pharmacology off the cuff but don't care to bore the readers is a laughably transparent ploy to sound undeservedly authoritative. If you have any specific expertise on this subject that you didn't obtain by trolling google, then please name it.

[ QUOTE ]
Mostly, it just does not let you sleep.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is completely false.

I will mostly abstain from threads on this subject but I hope people are smart enough not to believe what they read.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:27 PM

Paul Phillips --
"I hope people are smart enough not to believe what they read."

Having just read this, I wonder if I should believe it.

PairTheBoard
Old 07-11-2005, 10:01 PM

Paul-
I don't quite see the reason for your aggression towards me, but if you would like a discussion in detail, here you go...
Amphetamines exert there effect through a variety of mechanisms. For the sake of discussion we will use cocaine as an example. Cocaine exerts it effect through the mediation of neurotransmitters, primarily dopamine and nor-epinephrine. These neurotransmitters are metabolized by 3 mechanisms: 1)degradation by specific enzymes, 2)diffusion away from the neuro-synapse, and 3)pre synaptic re-uptake. Cocaine, and most amphetamines exert their effect by primarilay inhibiting pre-synaptic reuptake, thereby leaving and excess of dopamine and nor-epi at the synaptic junction. This in turn leads to an over stimulation of the alpha adregernic nervous system. The majority of the effects of these drugs (both good and bad) are related to this alpha adregernic effect. Provigil, on the other hand, is an enantiomer (a structural mirror like image) of a sympathetic-amine, therby making it an amphetamine like substance. The exact pharmacology of this drug is really unknown. It does not seem to directly effect either dopamine or nor-epi. It likely works by decreasing GABA related neurotransmission, an effect not demonstrated by the amphetamines, however this effect has not been clearly demonstrated either.
The majority of reported effects of this drug are in regards promoting wakefullness. Like I said earlier, it has been reported to produce euphoria. It has addictive properties also. It's current indications are for narcolepsy, and sleep disorders associated with shift work. It is used off-label for obstuctive sleep apnea/obesity-hypoventilation syndrome and ADHD.

As for my qualifications to discuss the subject, I am a physician and associate professor of Internal Medicine on the teaching faculty at 2 hospitals. I am double board certified in both internal medicine, as well as hospice and palliative care (of which there are currently only about 2000 physicians nationwide with this certification). I have been named the Teaching Attending of the year twice by the residencies that I teach at. I have had mutiple media apperances (TV, radio, and newspapers) for medical related issues. I have served as an expert witness in court multiple times. In addition to owning my own medical practice, I also serve as the medical director of a large university, overseeing the college health service. I have given multiple lectures specifically on the effects of amphetamines, so forgive me if I feel qualified to discuss the subject.
The one thing I am not qualified to discuss is what this drug is actually like to take, as I never have. You have apparently had experience with it. If you care to report your experience with the drug, I feel that is fine. However it is a personal experience, and this drug clearly is not something to be taken inappropriately. Your comments in the article may be interpreted by some as this drug being good for things it is not really indicated for. Only you can comment on what your indications for it were, and what additional effects you may have gotten from it, but I would hate to see people mis-interpreting your statement as an endorsement for its use for things like improving your chance in poker tourneys.

You have been very successful in life, and now so in poker also. Wether or not you wanted it, you are a public figure whom some people may look up to. Your comments in the article could be taken the wrong way by some. My response to the OP was only meant to provide some objective info and was not meant to upset anyone, including yourself.

I may suck at poker, but this stuff I know cold-

Good luck @ the big one, hope it works out for ya-