Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 03:43 PM

Default A Proposal

Back in my student years, often a few of us would team up with some grad student and read specific texts together. Maybe we could do something like this on-line, with specific discussion about the hands and material in any book of choice. I'm thinking one of the advanced books that gets a lot of guarded praise, because it is weak tight, or only applicable to the higher limits, and showing how it could be made applicable to these limits. Perhaps Ciaffone's Middle Limit Poker (?), but there are others...

Probably wishful thinking.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: A Proposal

Might be a good idea. I liked Middle Limit Poker. Oddly enough, this hand from MLP is on cardplayers hand quiz today and I found it anything but "weak/tight":

Question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A $30-$60 game. You are in the small blind with $20 posted in this structure, holding the J-9. An early player limps and a middle player raises. It is folded to you and you call the raise for another $40. The big blind and early limper call. There is $240 in the pot and four players. The flop comes: 5-3-2, giving you a flush-draw with two overcards. You bet. The big blind and the early limper fold. The preflop raiser raises. You call. There is $360 in the pot and two players. The turn is the A. What do you do?"

http://www.cardplayer.com/pokerquiz.php

Any thoughts?
Old 11-30-2005, 04:13 PM

Excellent idea. Assuming that this idea has takers. Let's try to keep the subject line of these threads somewhat consistent. For example, "Book Discussion: (descriptive stuff goes here)". That way these discussions will be easily searchable and not get lost in the muck.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:12 PM

let's see, there are four outs to a split, and nine outs to the nut flush. With 13 outs, 2.5 to 1 odds is sufficient to play this hand. The MP raised an EP limp, so he is not directing his play at the blinds; his likely holding is a big pair, or one of the big drawing hands. It is very likely the flop has missed his hand entirely. His raise in the flop tells me he most likely has a big pair; some A/K combination is still not out of the question. The A on the turn may triple his hand, make his AK, or miss him entirely. Additionally the board is offering a gutshot and a flush draw, and he must see that he is either ahead and vulnerable, or already behind. Given this, a check raise could take out the raiser altogether; it is unlikely we would be reraised, and we may even get a free card, if the raiser checks back to us. We have the outs to make this semibluff a good play, and it costs only one bet.

This play will not work so well on lower limit tables, however, because many players call anything.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:02 PM

Bet, that ace has huge fold equity for his over (now under) pair.

btw thief, with the 13 outs, didnt you count the 4 of your suit twice or did i miss something?
Old 12-01-2005, 01:48 PM

yeah, i may have overcounted one. four outs to the split pot on the straight, one of which is a flush card. my oops.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:49 PM

the question is, how do we do this?