Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-13-2005, 10:24 AM

Default This one didn\'t feel right...

Last night's $100+$9 tourney on Stars - a shade under 300 entrants, and we're down to nine tables. Three get paid. Average stack is in the neighborhood of T5300, and I'm a hair above that. My table has a lot of chips; three of the top five chip counts are there, though the villain in this hand is not among them. He has me covered, but barely. Around T6000. He's a regular in the bigger Stars tourneys, so I assume he's decent, though I haven't played with him much, and don't have much of a read. He's been slightly more aggressive than average if anything, but hasn't shown down anything out of line. Seems solid. I've been maintaining my stack well since I've been moved to this table about three orbits ago, winning blinds maybe once an orbit, and don't think I've played a hand past the flop since I've gotten there.

Antes kicked in less than an orbit ago (100/200/25), and I open-raise to 600 UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Folded around to the button who raises to T1400, blinds fold, and it's back to me. Have to call T800 into a pot that's already T2525, and I do. I can't see folding a solid hand like that getting over 3:1 odds, though I'm certainly not married to the hand depending on what hits the board - I still have a playable stack. Two of us to the flop with T3325 in the middle. I have T3900 behind, and he has me covered.

Flop's a nice 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Couldn't have asked for a whole lot more. There's an OK chance I'm slightly ahead, and I certainly can't fold this flop. He's almost certain to throw out a continuation bet should I check to him. I'd love to take the pot down as is, and it's not a catastrophe if I get all-in here. So I pushed. And he called in a flash with AKo.

The whole hand seemed to lack some sense of continuity though. Did I completely botch this one preflop? Yet another lesson about playing marginal holdings up front? I'm thinking the only way I might win this pot is if I limp/call preflop and check-raise the flop all-in, but I'm not one to limp up front after the antes kick in. Was the flop push bad? Just unlucky that he made a good read?

All comments appreciated.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Re: This one didn\'t feel right...

What's so bad about this? You're all in with 12 outs and 2 cards to come?
Old 12-13-2005, 10:54 AM

I don't like the KQo from EP; you've been playing tight and get raised- yes it was only 800 but that's more than a trip around the table at this level and yes you had the odds to call, but his raise combined with your tightness said you were behind. The flop was OK for a ring game- the flush draw and two overs, but not something to stake your tournament life on. I would have checked the flop and seen if / how much he bet since he re-raised you and was bound to make a continuation-bet.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have checked the flop and seen if / how much he bet since he re-raised you and was bound to make a continuation-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't there something to be said for maximizing fold equity? Or are you advocating a potential check/fold? That seems awfully weak.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:13 AM

I completely agree that you cannot check this flop. Any continuation bet villain makes commits him if you check/raise allin. However, I think pushing makes it seem like you want villain to fold b/c either you're weak or on a draw. An alternative line here could be to bet 1600-2000. This would send the message to villain that you are not folding, and in fact you are looking for a call. I think this bet may have more folding equity than the all-in push (provided villain is capable of folding AK on a ragged board).
Old 12-13-2005, 11:19 AM

What range do you put him on with the reraise preflop? I'd put him on AQ+, TT+. Probably on the higher end of that since he didn't just go all-in. He'd like action on this hand. There is no way you're ahead with KQ after the flop misses you.

So you're betting that he's on two overcards and the flop missed him too and you can get him to fold. You were right, but there's no way you can know that when you go all-in.

Unfortunately, he read you correctly that you didn't have a PP either and called.

I think the correct play is to fold to his preflop raise.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:24 AM

I think you played it fine. An argument could be made for a large bet on the flop, not a push, but it really doesn't matter that much. You hit as good a flop as you could of asked for and you want to raise immediately while you still have fold equity.

And to anyone that says check/fold the flop that is absolutely terrible. Hero can very well be a favorite here with the flush draw and maybe two live overs to a lower pair. Since the pot is already pretty big, you definitely want to try to take it down here.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd put him on AQ+, TT+... There is no way you're ahead with KQ after the flop misses you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm ahead of a quarter of the range you just mentioned.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:31 AM

I agree that a bet of about 1,800 with the intention of calling an all-in raise should have been the plan. This would have told him that you not only wanted a call but were committed to the pot. He should fold to this bet as the chance that you are bluffing is smaller than with the all-in bet.