Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-14-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Evolving Nation States

I am not discussing the evolution OF nation states but merely putting forth the idea that nations are subjected to natural selection. In the end, in the long run, the fit will survive and the weak will die out in terms of nations.

True? False? What are the implications?
Old 12-14-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Evolving Nation States

<font color="blue"> True? False? </font>

True.

<font color="blue">What are the implications? </font>

That the United States may be in trouble.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:07 PM

True? Probably, but it is a bit more complicated than that.

Take Nigeria as an example. It is probably one of the most conflictual states in the world, yet it is unlikely that it will die out in the foreseeable future. There is a significant amount of oil in the Christian south of Nigeria, but all of the political power is derived from the Muslim north. The South would LOVE to secede from the North, but the North has been stealing the South's oil revenue for long enough that their military is significantly more powerful, and they would never let their primary source of revenue slip away.

SO, despite mass corruption, wealth inequality, and poverty, Nigeria is relatively persistant. They have a significant amount of resources, and their economy is relatively likely to sustain itself until something drastic happens to their oil revenue.

So, maybe that's what you mean by the long run: when the oil runs out... but when the long run gets long enough, even the strong will die out.

I don't really understand Lestat's assertion that the US may be in trouble. It seems to me that the US is pretty 'fit' for the most part, certainly in comparison to most of the world.

I suppose the national debt is pretty awful, but aside from that, I see little justification for the prophecy.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:05 PM

just as natural selection is not longer actually true because of the implications of our emotions and politics etc. natural selection when it comes to nations is also not really true because of similar reasons. cough cough ISRAEL. I agree that the US may be in trouble. We have a lot of long run economic problems. but no more than any other individual nation. the problem is with a situation we may be in later on becuase of past decisions.

We may be on giant Nation of Earth in the future, but I'm guessing it will be more due to political decisions than thee actual strenth of each individual nation.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:11 PM

Hmm. I'm not sure that natural selection is now untrue. Maybe in humans? But still not entirely.

Please elaborate.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm. I'm not sure that natural selection is now untrue. Maybe in humans? But still not entirely.

Please elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't mean that is is entirely dead, but as it is considered as the means that primative creatures survive and evolve is not neccessarily all true for humans at this point. Let me say that I consider this change against natural selection as very small, but i think it is there and have been happening over the past several thousand years, or maybe even much further back.

Something such as wildlife conservation is an example of how human emotion intervenes with natural selection in the animal world, and there are many more. it may not mean much in the long run but does affect natural selection just is in the human world or when it comes to nations etc.

as far as humans go.. just the fact that attraction does not neccessarily depend on the fittest or most intelligent person can affect our natural selection as well.

i guess it depends on what you really think of natural selection and who is actually the BEST candidate.

I'm just saying that efforts aree put forth that protect the weak and this is due to emotional or political reasons or possible practical reasons.

I'm not sure of how natural selection could or may have been undermined without any humans around