Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 07-19-2005, 01:02 PM

Default TT $22 level 3. I think I hate all 4 decisions I made.

Villian got most of his chips from calling a 5BB pfr with AKo in the small blind, then check-calling a greater than pot-sized all-in on a QTx flop, and spiking his J.

25/50 blinds

Hero (840)
CO (590)
Button (440)
SB (715)
BB (1415)
UTG (2275)
Villian (1725)

Dealt to Hero T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="red">Villian raises (100) to 100</font>, Hero calls (100), everyone folds

**Flop** : K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villian checks, Hero checks.

**Turn** : A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Villian bets (50), Hero raises (200) to 200, Villian raises (1575) to 1625</font>, Hero calls (540) and is all-In.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Re: TT $22 level 3. I think I hate all 4 decisions I made.

I think preflop is push or fold. Whats wrong with the rest of the hand?
Old 07-19-2005, 01:15 PM

Meh, I don't know. I really felt stupid raising that turn. Given how he'd played the hand up to that point, he was showing great strength or great weakness.

If it's great weakness, he's folding to my raise. If it's great strength, I'm effed. I really can't see him playing any king except AK like that. When he checked the flop I really felt like he had AK, if he had a hand that beat me.

Also, I can't think of many 2nd best hands he's going to be able to make on the turn when I give a free card that he's going to be willing to double me up with. Maybe if he has a low PP and spikes his own fullhouse? But I really don't see many people play a PP like that preflop.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:25 PM

If you dont go broke here you are awful at poker.

So what if hes a donk that min-bet with AK.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:26 PM

KJs/KQ are extremely plausible coming from a donk min-bet
Old 07-19-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-19-2005, 01:28 PM

Level 3 has been giving me fits lately for just this reason. The usual disclaimer when I make the first reply to a post: I'm definitely still learning so take the following with that in mind.

Some donk min-raises and you have a good hand. Although it's strong, the most likely situation here is you're facing a coinflip. So you have 3 choices: fold, call or raise.

I think calling is the worst of the 3. You'll have no idea where you stand. Also, if you're going to play this you'd prefer to be heads-up with villian. There are probably going to be overcards on the flop. The more people in the pot the higher the chances are that someone is going to connect.

I think folding TT here is probably too weak. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say horrible, but I'm playing it. This is a bit of a change for me as of late. Looking over some of my stats I've noted that level 3 has been a weakness for me and I think this is a good example of why. It's a little scary to get involved here with TT against a raise, but you're starting to run out of time. You didn't mention when the blinds were going up, but when they do you're going to be &lt;8BB if you don't find some chips. Passing up on an opportunity to get them with TT can't be a good thing.

So that leaves raising. Based on your read I think you're getting a call no matter how much you raise. You have 840, there's 175 in the pot. It would be nice you if you could make a decent raise which didn't commit you to the flop, isolate villan and use your position to play post flop. However, you just don't have enough chips to do this. So I think you have to raise all-in.

As things worked out, you have to bet the flop. There's 275 chips in the middle, unless he happens to have KK or KT you're way ahead and he's already showed you he's willing to draw with improper odds. Push and expect a call.

The turn: ugh. You could very well be behind but not necessarily, and I don't think you're getting away from this one.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:29 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to dispute that. However, I'm upset with how I went broke. I played this hand like a donkey pretty much the whole way. It doesn't matter that I would've gone broke pushing preflop, or betting the flop and calling the all-in. What matters is I played this hand like [censored].
Old 07-19-2005, 01:32 PM

I think the turn is a good place to raise. Its sort of deceptive in that it looks like you just have an ace (which he might have). Even better if he has a king that he has slowplayed. If he has a K there is no way you are getting him out of that hand at any point (which is probably correct), so if he boated up on you its just a beat. I don't mind letting worse hands then a K catch up here at all, and if hes got the K it doesnt matter when you riase this. I can think of many hands that double you up and only two that outdrew you, both of which would never fold anyway (AK &amp; AA).
Old 07-19-2005, 01:37 PM

So what if hes a donk that min-bet with AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

No set, no bet. You don't have a set on the flop so you should fold.