Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-26-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Setting up a poker station

I have been playing online for a couple of years with a laptop that could just barely handle PP, PT and GT+. I am now up to 6 tabling and the PT db has gotten bigger and the laptop can't handle it. I want to put together a new setup with a desktop and multiple monitors.

What power machine do I need to 6-8 table with GameTime+ running without it getting sluggish? Also what is the best way to set up multiple monitors? Should I just buy some cheap PCI video cards and put them in the computer or buy a multi card? And where are good places to buy these parts cheap? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Setting up a poker station

I just boguht a PCIe dual output video card for $50 on newegg.com Mostly everyone here would recommened it for cheap, reliable parts.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:09 PM

If the computer I have has onboard video, would a dual output card bring that up to three monitors or would I have to disable the onboard entirely thus dropping me to two? Also, how will processor speed effect performance of the tables and added items (GT+ specifically)

Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:35 AM

not sure how good of a comp u need but some ram should help

as for 2 monitors
Find out what kind of slots you have. Easiest way to do this is by opening your computer and looking. You most likely have 3 PCI slots(these are white and on the smaller side). Then above those you might have an AGP or PCIe slot(PCIe just came out less than a year ago so if your comp is older than that you wont have it.)
one of these would be brown and without a trianed eye you wouldnt really be able to tell them apart. So if you see one call up who you bought it from. You would want to use that slot if you have since AGP is twice as fast as PCI and PCIe is twice as fast as AGP

once that is figured out go to www.newegg.com and buy a card that supports dual monitors let me know if you need help picking
Old 12-27-2005, 02:58 PM

my P4-2.4Ghz machine does 9 tables (party beta) + PT (import every two minutes) + PAHUD + mp3 just fine.

Before operating systems got good at handling multiple monitors it was far better to get a single high-end card for them. Now I don't think it matters.

Parts shopping:
www.newegg.com
www.zipzoomfly.com
www.pricewatch.com

Caveat emptor on pricewatch but I can personally vouch for newegg and zipzoomfly
Old 12-27-2005, 06:31 PM

If you have CRT monitors, then don't make the mistake I did. I bought a video card with a DVI and a VGA output, thinking that I could easily use a cheap DVI to VGA adapter to run 2 CRTs. I didn't know much about DVI and ended up with a DVI-D video card. The adapters only work on DVI-I and not on DVI-D. Make sure to look at the pictures to determine which type of DVI the video card uses. This website has pics that you can compare to. I think that it doesn't matter any if you are using LCDs, since they will use DVI-D cables, which will work with either type of DVI video card.