Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-24-2005, 09:34 AM

Default Re: A stranger bought me lunch today

Merry Christmas....

I'm not a fan of war etc....Without getting boring...But all you guys do a great job....
Old 12-24-2005, 09:37 AM

It got pretty scandalous, with plenty of stories in the news, about how many people in the military were on food stamps. A trip out to a sit-down restaurant is definitely a big deal when you're on food stamps.

Nice post by the way. This is the kind of charity I like - truly anonymous. And it's a kind of pay it forward deal that is also at the heart of truly being giving. You do it without expect of recompense, and the only way to pay it back is for you to do something nice for someone else entirely. And not just someone you were going to do something nice for anyway; no cheesing out. Some burdens are actually cool to carry. They wake your spirit up, if nothing else. Good for the soul.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:33 AM

it gets even better!
Old 12-24-2005, 12:21 PM

I have little respect for most random people, but I have a lot of respect and admiration for the balls that you guys have for defending our country. I think instead of donating to charities this year, Ill do something like this, it seems that this would be much more relevant nowadays.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:33 PM

I once had a couple of mobsters pick up my tab at one of NYC's best Italian restaurants.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This has never happened to me before. Today the wife, the boy and I were out running some errands. We stopped by Applebee's for lunch (got the Jalapino Jack Chicken sandwich...delicious). As we finished up, I asked for the check. The server went to get it, and when she returned said "I've been told to tell you that your bill is taken care of." After taking 20 seconds to comprehend what happened, and confirming the information she just conveyed, I told the server to offer thanks and a Merry Christmas to my anonymous benefactor.

I can only speculate why. Military guy w/young boy and expectant wife around Christmas? Probably. Though it was very nice and I greatly appreciated the gesture, I'm a CPT who makes pretty decent coin. It could probably have been better spent on someone else (namely a junior enlisted type for whom a trip to Applebees is a big deal). Only course of action I can think of is to remain grateful and to return the favor to someone else next time I'm out. In any event it was nice to see the Christmas spirit alive and well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems pleasant enough...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
namely a junior enlisted type for whom a trip to Applebees is a big deal

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey jerkoff when did going to applebees become a big deal for enlisted. Your a Capt? What rock have you been hiding under... You way out of touch man. We are not talking about $100.00 plates here. Its applebees its not that big of a deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?