Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 01:58 AM

Default Trying not to spew

Villian here just sat down and is the only guy at the table I dont have stats on, but I havn't seen him do anything dumb in the orbit he's been playing.

Been in a funk lately so I wanted to post some marginal situations I might be missing some +EV...

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
i]3 folds[/i]</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls,3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 players)</font>
Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds.

Turn: (2.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)</font>
Hero bets...

What is my action here if Villian raises. Pots small, am I still calling down? Uncordinated board makes this look like I'm beat, so I am saying fold, but just wanted some opinions.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:19 AM

Default Re: Trying not to spew

Eh. In unraised pots I tend to believe people who call flop and raise turn. If you had a 7 I'd fold but a T I'd call. I think the line is somewhere aroudn A7/T2
Old 12-23-2005, 02:21 AM

In this situation on the flop, it is very close between checking and calling, checking and folding, and betting. In the long run it really doesnt matter how you play this hand IMO. The way I usually play this situation if I do bet the flop is if both opponents call, I will usually check and fold the turn unimproved. If only one opponent calls, I will usually bet/fold the turn. Unless I am against a very tricky aggressive opponent, then I would check/call the turn.
In your situation, if the villain raises your turn bet, and you have no read, you should fold, the pot is not big enough to fight for, and most people will not be bluff raising you in this situation cuz they too will realize that the pot is not worth getting tricky over.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In this situation on the flop, it is very close between checking and calling, checking and folding, and betting.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a standard bet imo. I don't know what your arguments for a check/fold is and a check/call seems pretty terrible. The board is not terribly draw heavy and we only have 2 opponents, I can't see folding this flop at all.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:35 AM

Maybe I am playing too tight in this spot, if I sometimes check/fold. The times I would check/call is if the action went bet fold, and the guy that bet is the type to bet this flop with many hands I am ahead of including many bluffs, then I would check and call all the way down and let him bluff his chips off.

In general though I do not always bet Ten high flops with middle pair when im out of position against two opponents in an unraised pot. In this situation there is actually a higher probability than normal that one of those opponents hit top pair, since so many common limping hands contain a ten in it, which means I will usually be in a win small lose big proposition.

For example: If I bet this flop and they both fold this is great, and I win this small pot. But other times I will bet the flop, one person will call, and then I will bet the turn and that same person will just call, and I will either bet/fold the river or check/call the river and be shown a Ten. So when I win it will usually be a 1.5-2BB pot, but when I lose, there will be many times I may end up investing 2.5BB in this losing cause.

Compared to the small pot size, the risk/reward ratio is actually not that favorable IMO. So I do not think that betting middle pair on a ten high flop when out of position against two limpers is standard.

If I was in between the two limpers and the first guy checked, then I would bet this flop every time with middle pair, but this situation is much more favorable to me since I have more information knowing that one of my two opponents checked. My hand is much stronger in this situation.

If the flop was Q7x or K7x, I am pretty much betting middle pair here every time OOP against two limpers, but in this situatin my hand is now much stronger since the probability that one of my opponents has top pair is now lower since they limped, thus making the risk/reward ratio of this play much more favorable.

Just giving you my thoughts on this situation.