Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 02:34 AM

Default AJo from MP, basic question

Typical low limit game. Few fish, few rocks, few better than average players. 10 handed and Im in MP1. First 3 all limp in. I raised holding AJo.

This is usually a hand that plays best vs small field and Im the 4th one in. Should I have just limped?
Old 11-05-2005, 02:37 AM

Default Re: AJo from MP, basic question

I like a raise because you probably have the best hand plus an outside shot to buy the button - just be careful not to autobet the flop.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:40 AM

I have no problem raising here.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:40 AM

I missed the flop and checked it when it was up to me with 2 after me still to act. I had hoped my raise would buy the button.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:55 AM

*grunch*

this is something I struggle with as well, AJo doesn't feel strong enough that you should be raising with it after that many limpers. However, from what I've learned is that this is a raising hand because it is worth so much more than most other starting hands.

Not raising keeps the pot smaller and with an appropriate raise on the flop or turn you can more easily force callers to make an incorrect decision based on pot odds but for small stakes games as Miller puts it "where players go too far with too many hands" you're better off to raise PF with it.

However, I think in HPFAP Sklansky talks about not raising with hands like KQo and AJo if it won't elimate players behind you.

Raising with AJo at typical low limit games, you're going to be called with hands like A7o, A2s, JTo, etc, I see that crap all the time.

Whether you raise or don't raise hands like AJo or KQo, I don't think it's a huge error either way.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Raising with AJo at typical low limit games, you're going to be called with hands like A7o, A2s, JTo, etc, I see that crap all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you don't want this??
Old 11-05-2005, 05:04 AM

It's an easy raise. The HPFAP example mentioned below is for games where raises will only be called by hands you should call a raise with, something that doesn't happen in Micro Limits.

With a lot of callers this isn't going to win a ton of pots, but it has the equity advantage, and will win you some big pots, just not a ton of them. While this may not be the ideal hand to play multi way, it doesn't play BADLY multi way, it just doesn't thrive multi way like it would if it were suited.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And you don't want this??

[/ QUOTE ]

When did I say you don't want this? I can't believe you think I'm stupid enough to even have the possibility of not wanting this.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Typical low limit game. Few fish, few rocks, few better than average players. 10 handed and Im in MP1. First 3 all limp in. I raised holding AJo.

This is usually a hand that plays best vs small field and Im the 4th one in. Should I have just limped?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not only should you raise for value another reason for raising is not letting the blinds have a free ride to seeing the flop as well as the possibility of buying the button for the later rounds of betting.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:24 AM

err... raise, should be automatic, you miss its 2SB