Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 10-04-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Busting your friends?

I think some have missed the point of why this is bad so I will now elaborate:

You did indicate that there was no signalling or whatever before you and your buddy got heads up. Fine, that's noted. The problem is that if you and your buddy have this "understanding" about how you will not bust each other then you have an edge over the other players in the hand while there are still others to play. You and your buddy can even attempt to trap opponents between you (as indicated in your post). Only when the other player folded you called it off as there was no money to be made from others.

This "understanding" has a definite effect on the other players at the table as they don't get the same benefit as your buddy does. This is why this is colluding, cheating, etc. Does that help anyone who's still unclear on this?
Old 10-04-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You guys are friends, and both poker players. You've never taken each others' money before?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good friends... we've taken thousands off eachother in mixed games and/or heads up matches...

We usually stay out of eachothers way when we are at a table of donks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you honestly should not play poker at the same table.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This "understanding" has a definite effect on the other players at the table as they don't get the same benefit as your buddy does. This is why this is colluding, cheating, etc. Does that help anyone who's still unclear on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
keep in mind we don't really have a standing agreement, but we do try to stay out of eachother's way with drawing/speculative hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

they clearly werent colluding in this example. with different intent and planning they could have put forth a plan to but he says they didnt.

was it collusion when the nice old lady told me to fold bc she had quads? i did and she did. this is the same situation.

was it collusion when i had a read on a friend of mine, put him on a draw, raised his turn bet with a-high and knocked out a pair?
Old 10-04-2005, 05:39 PM

Everyone is over-reacting a little.

WEre you colluding? Not int he traditional sense. You were not acting together ina way to take someone ELSE's money. Basically you were heads up in this particular hand and did not play it as you normally would it a random a opponent. This still makes alot of people nervous because you very well could start trying ot actively work together to trap someone in between you or pass information when others are in the pot. At big stakes like this (I considre $500 NL big stakes personally, as most $500 means alot ot most people) I would strongly advise not playing with friends.

Plus, if everyone knows you are friends they'll be quick to accuse you of colluding even if you were not.

Besides, it's +EV to play 9 donks instead of 8 donks + 1 skilled friend, correct?
Old 10-04-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...waived...

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...Drink bear, watch NE loose to San Diego

[/ QUOTE ]

You people are arguing with someone who cannot spell
"wave", "beer" and "lose"

This little boy has never been in a cardroom in his life.

-ZEN
Old 10-04-2005, 06:47 PM

if im playing with friends, and we are playing for each others money i break him. if we both sat down at the table to play some donks, i'll atempt to check it down with him if he bets into me well i've got to break him. waving your friend off the hand is not cool, rather than spare my friend his cash im paying for dinner and drinks later or something along those lines, money is money so im calling when ive got someone beat
Old 10-05-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how is this not cheating under your guidelines. you are advocating that these friends split profits afterward. seems like clear collusion to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this "splitting profits"? You cant use your profits to take your friend out afterwards? Collusion at the table is signaling, building up pots for a partner, or somehow working together at the table. In the example listed starting this thread, the poster signaled his friend. This would be collusion. Taking him out afterwards would not. Would it be collusion if you cleaned out your whole table and took them all to dinner afterwards? You never would, but this would not be cheating or colluding.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:06 PM

If you would feel so bad about busting him then give back all the money you got from playing him after your session.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:29 PM

I play with 10-15 guys every Wednesday and consider most of them to be pretty good friends of mine. I can honestly say that there is nothing that I would rather do than beat my good friends. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you're are in a game you have to be able to bust anyone. I don't care if your girlfriend is Pamela Anderson. If you want to play poker, you have to be able to bust anyone at the table without feeling bad for them.

-HoldemPokerPlyr

[/ QUOTE ]

all this talk about "busting" , it was only a matter of time before pamela anderson entered the conversation

I see a lot of negative comments about soft playing your friend. However,
I do think two strong players can ruin a good passive table by playing too strong against eachother. Weaker players can be scared off by too much aggression. Also, I believe you accelerate the learning curve of weak passives this way.