Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 12:53 AM

Default AJs Turn Raise....what do you think?

Villian seems like a LAG and is raising too much pf.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.70 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>....
Old 11-21-2005, 12:58 AM

Default Re: AJs Turn Raise....what do you think?

depending on his stats id prob raise the flop. You will usually have best hand and a nice draw. This will potentially make the turn easier to play.

I dont see Lags folding to many turn raises and you open yourself up to being 3bet in a spot where you cant fold.

Id prefer to save the BB and call the river UI.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:05 AM

If i was pretty sure he was 3-betting on the flop if i raised no matter if he had me beat or not, what should my line have been? c/c/c UI?
Old 11-21-2005, 01:16 AM

well if you think your ace high is good on the flop then id raise and look forward to the 3bet. But if you are 100% sure that you would be putting 3 in on the flop then it should be with the intention of showing the hand down almost always UI. If you find it hard to SD ace high then id just call down. If he's a typical LAG then you really arent going to have much fold equity, save the turn semi-bluffs for the nits and punish him when you have a made hand.

Personally id be raising this flop and calling a 3bet and make a decision on the river. I think raising the turn is the worst of the 3 option. Id like more opinions though.

Is this guy a maniac or a 40/20 guy?
Old 11-21-2005, 01:43 AM

if he is really raising too much 25+ then i like the raise the flop idea over the raise the turn idea. but more important than his raising range is what do you think his capping range is. if he is a typical lag then i would speculate that aqs, ako, tt+ might be his range in which case i'd just call down the flop and turn and see what the river brings then decide. he is not folding after capping preflop so i dont think you have much folding equity anywhere really. and unless his capping range is much different than a typical lag you aren't ahead of very many (if any) of his hands right on the flop or turn so the call down line seems best to me.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:56 AM

Not a maniac. He's 50/25
Old 11-21-2005, 02:01 AM

raise/cap flop for value/free card/metagame

if youre just going to call the flop you cant raise the turn. hes never folding anything you beat and you really dont want to get 3bet