Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Can the probability of God existence change?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
My problem with the whole thing is that I think it's absurd to give a probability that a fairy tale exists. It shouldn't be either be between 1 and 0, but null.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lukasiewicz rolls in his grave. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2005, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My problem with the whole thing is that I think it's absurd to give a probability that a fairy tale exists. It shouldn't be either be between 1 and 0, but null.
And probability shouldn't be subjective. If it is, it's meaningless.
Shooby

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Shooby

If god is a metaphysical comcept then I think you're right.

Most people are talking about religous views, aspects of which you can assign probabilities to. Take the extreme example of those who predicted the world would end on some date (I can't remember the date but its gone), the probability their religous view was right is zero.

chez
Old 09-30-2005, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First, why do you think that learning that we are the only life in the universe would change the probability of a God existing?

Second, I want the probability that Superman exists. Why?
Because it's the same probability that a God exists.
Some things shouldn't be given a probability based on the absurdity of the content.

Shooby

[/ QUOTE ]

If intelligent life (that of which matches at least our own intelligence), were discovered elsewhere in the universe, it would greatly decrease the probability of a creater - do you see why?

Do you think that they would believe in god and that they were made in his image (assuming they look very different from us)? Also, would they have their own version of Jesus?
Old 09-30-2005, 01:35 PM

Those who believe in God (capital G) beleive that we are his special creations, while not physically at the center of the universe, at the center of God's thoughts. Were it proved that there is no other life in the universe, wouldn't it lend credence to that view and detract from the viewpoint that life was formed from physical phenomena, rather than from the design of a Grand Designer?
Old 09-30-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those who believe in God (capital G) beleive that we are his special creations

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats the issue. Not all people who believe in god believe that.

Some people who don't believe in god don't believe that belief in god means belief that we are his special creations.

I don't believe it can be put clearer than that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

chez
Old 09-30-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe it can be put clearer than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I am out of a job, then. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Well, I consider it a compliment, chez. Glad to see you passed the final exam. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some things shouldn't be given a probability based on the absurdity of the content

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you ever get tired of using responses like this?
Old 09-30-2005, 02:11 PM

OMG, this is scary. I thought David was gone for a while. It seems he has indeed resurrected.* And in only 2 days instead of the usual 3. I guess if one has to follow a good act, one better do it a bit better. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Cf My post under the thread “4 possibilities of the universe…”
Old 09-30-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Re: Can the probability of God existence change?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have a thought provoking chat with someone about religion, and the probability of God existing could easily increase or decrease a hundred fold.

[ QUOTE ]
What if it could somehow be proven with 100% certainty that we were the only intelligent life in the universe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Erhm! How? Will the universe last long enough for you to inspect every planet, By the time you have checked the last planet, life will have had millions of years to evolve on one of the first few you visited. You would have to actually visit them, just looking will only tell you what the situation was when the light left them.

Just imagine after trillions of plants you think you have nearly finished your quest, only to have, to your horror, someone point out that you have personally infected billions and billions of planets with bacterial life, and now the universe is seething with the stuff [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2005, 06:05 PM

I understand what you're saying, but this is off the point. The question is if the odds of other intelligent of life forms go down (say the human race is now 20 billion years old and has yet to come across any evidence of anyone out there), does this effect the probability of God's existence?